Slow yeasties?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhunter87

Reaction score
Well, my mead is fermenting along, but I noticed after about a week and a half, the yeast have slowed considerably. I'm not talking about airlock activity, but about actually watching the yeast. They were very aggressive up until about 3 days ago and now they seem sluggish. Should I throw some nutrient?

Also, while I have your attention, my mead will end up drying all the way out, and I'd like it slightly sweet, so I plan to add about a 1/2# honey at a time until i max my yeast out to increase abv (currently will be +\-10%) and to make sweeter.

Should I do this addition in primary while on the cake? Or try secondary? If primary, should I wait until the yeast year through all the honey currently in there before I add more? Or should I just mix a half lb of honey with a little warm water and nutrient and toss it in?!?

Primary isn't like a truck driving into a wall - it's more like a truck running out of gas on a perfectly level surface and rolling to a stop (boy, I'm full of these insights today :p) Nutrient won't speed it (back) up.

If your ferment is slow but still rolling, I'd say you've still got some yeast in suspension eating sugars. Were it me, I'd rack it off the lees now (you're probably through most of the sugar but the yeast aren't going dormant cos they're starving just yet, plus coming off the lees makes more room in the jug) and feed it again.

So to add what you and gin said together, rack, take SG, if it's around or near my estimated FG but I want it higher, add a bit more honey an let em rock until they "roll to a stop" lol!

Back