Wyeast 3787 Ferm Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildOnions

Reaction score
Anybody fermented with Wyeast 3787 at 72-74*? If so, how did it turn out? I did the NB Patersbier kit at that ferm temp, samples have been good and haven't been overwhelmed by any phenol flavors but its hard to judge at room temp.

I pitched at 64ish and held that for 2-3 days and then let free rise to wherever it wanted to go to, which is what I heard was the way to suppress the peppery notes with this yeast. It worked great, and I'm rebrewing that beer with amarillo in a week or so. I'm going to wash the yeast and keep some form of patersbier with different hops going all summer.

I like 3787 a lot.

I do pretty much what duckmanco does. I like to pitch it in the low 60's and hold it in the mid 60's for a couple of days and then let it go. 72-74 is good after a couple of days.

I did a belgian strong golden with 3787 a few weeks ago that was probably near the low 70's for the first few days because i fermented it in a closet upstairs instead of the darkest reaches of my basement.

But i haven't tasted it yet. I'll let you know.

I did a belgian strong golden with 3787 a few weeks ago that was probably near the low 70's for the first few days because i fermented it in a closet upstairs instead of the darkest reaches of my basement.

It should be fine. I have done that with some brews and they were good. 3787 is a little more forgiving to higher temps during. the early part of fermentation than some Belgian yeasts. 1214 can handle higher temps also. Don't try that with 1762.....fusel bomb.

Yeah. I was pretty sure that was the recommended temperature range printed on the package, but i could be confused.

I've only been brewing since october last year, almost exclusively with nottingham - which seems to like the cool temperatures that are everywhere in my house during the winter and appear to be a constant in the basement closet in the summer.

3787 wants warmer than 60ish, so it got stuck in a closet that was moderately warm that week.

Bit of a brimstone odor to it. Not bad, but this was also my first 5 gallon batch ever, so it was weird to come home after work on the 3rd day of fermentation and be hit by a strange odor that ultimately seemed to be coming from the fermenter.

That yeast worked hard for almost the whole week. I'd used a plastic soda bottle for blowoff, so i just had to be within about 10 feet of the closet to hear the constant burping.

cool, I'm opening my first bottle this weekend so I'll try and remember to post results here. Will be 2 weeks in the bottle so still could be green anyhow.

just to update, fermented at 72-75 (probably got up to 76-78 during the last 1.5 weeks of fermentation), and its fantastic. Great belgian yeast flavors coming through, no fusels whatsoever.

just brewed a golden strong with 3787. also went with the pitch cold, ramp up system.

pitched at 63, held there 3 days then free rise to 67 to day 6. then 72 for the coming few weeks until it hits terminal gravity near 1.006.

blowoff tube is already well covered with kraussen and yeasty junk. its a wonderful sight to behold

How would this yeast do sitting at a constant 62 degrees? (I shattered one of my aquarium heaters so 5 of 10 gallons may have to ferment at ambient temps in the closet under the stairs).

Back