My peach wine tastes awful.... sometimes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59f100292

Reaction score
Long story short, my peach wine has a kind of flat, dry, bitter taste that every one agrees tastes like either baking soda or baking powder( no one knows what either actually tastes like). so it tastes like crap. One thing of extra confusion is that it tastes stronger like crap in some bottles than others, (5gal batch). Sooooooo what did I do wrong?

If i had to guess I'd say I added too much of some chemical or something, but I barely know my fine back side from a hole in the ground when it comes to wine making, so I'm going to trust the advice of you strangers instead.

Advice?

(this thread may have been written under the influence of a bottle or two of the a fore mentioned crap wine)

Never have done a peach wine... Sounds interesting. I have done a peach ale that was way tart maybe slight bitterness from the peaches at first. But mellowed out a lot over time and then could only get the aroma and sweetness from the peaches. But who am I to say I'm a beer/cider guy and have only done one batch of rice wine. Let it age is my guess. By the way mind sharing your recipe I'm interested in trying out some peach wine.

I've got 3 gallon of peach that is undrinkable. It is only 1 year old. I am going to let it sit a while longer to see if it mellows with time.

Did not ferment it on pits. I'll try to dig out the recipe. I did keep it somewhere. My wine is 1 year old at the time. maybe time will help.

A guy I golf with makes all kinds of wine and his peach had a real bad taste one year and we tracked it back to the orchard. Seems they spray the peaches with something so they dont bruise while being shipped, and you would have to peal them not to get that bad taste. I dont recall what the spray was, but it tasted like to much of a chemical added. He tried degassing , cooling , everything. Now the orchard calls him before they spay and he gets to pick his own. Even washing them real good left the taste. Hope this helps. Cheers;)

I was wrong. I just called Vince to see if he remembered what it was. He said the spayed with SEVEN the insect spray. Cheers;)

thats interesting - mine were picked from a local orchard, but logic would have it they do spray. U se sevin on all kinds of things in the garden to keep bugs off actually. never heard of it helping with bruising.

Nope not bruising. We were testing that day(drinking) and hit that bad stuff. He thought it may be from bruising, but is very careful about bruised fruit, cause he always pick his own. The bad taste does come from seven, the bugs know before the farmers do when the fruit is ripe. Store bought are picked green which he will not use either. This gut makes around 100 gallons / 10 flavors a year. I wish I had half his set up or knowledge. At a guess I would say 6-7 hundered bottles aged back to 25 years. Cheers;)

Back