Pumpkin Wheat for SWMBO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike37

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a quick recipe to bounce off the forum. My wife is suddenly all hyped up for a good pumpkin ale this season, but being a huge fan of wheats, she really has her heart set on a pumpkin wheat style ale. So she has summoned me to brew something "wheaty and pumpkiny" up for her. Here's what I'm thinking:

5lb 2 row
5lb white wheat
0.75lb crystal 60
3lb 100% pumpkin in mash
1.5 tbsp pumpkin pie spice last min of boil

She's looking for a mild wheaty ale with a nice hit of spice. Should I add some brown sugar to dry it up a bit? I'm a little undecided there. Hops will be mild with probably just a small bittering addition at 60 minutes. The recipe sounds fine in my head but I just thought I'd run it by you guys. I'd really appreciate the input.

She probably would like Shocktops pumpkin wheat. You could mash at a lower temp-but I proably would mash longer also.More importantly what yeast? I think alot of American wheats end up dry,think that may depend on what kind of wheat or yeast more also.

I'd probably skip the pumpkin altogether and just use the pumpkin pie spices, add a half pound of cara 20L for the honey-like sweetness and use a low attenuation yeast, like windsor. The low attenuators would serve a malty beverage like this a little better and leave behind more of those malty sweet flavors.

I also might be tempted to use some low alpha acid hops for this one like hallertau, willamette or saaz for some earthy floral notes.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll leave out the actual pumpkin or just toss a small can in so I can say there's actually pumpkin in it. I do a hybrid biab, so a stuck sparge isn't an issue. I just don't think the pumpkin will add much flavor.

I think I have everything figured out except for brown sugar. Would a pound of it help my cause?

Brewed it up last night. Made the house smell incredible!

image-1566239560.jpg

Well here it is. Just thought I'd share a pic of it for anyone following along.

It's still young (force carbed) so the flavors have some blending to do, but this turned out really good. I can only describe it as various toasty and caramel type flavors with a hint of lingering pumpkin the whole time. Mouthfeel is silky yet heavy and aroma mirrors the taste.

The pie spices must have been scrubbed out, so I'll add a pinch in the glass when I serve or rim the glass with it. I'm surprised at the pumpkin flavor that made it through just from one small can, though. Next time I'll bake the pumpkin for a less "raw" taste to it. Overall pretty happy with it! SWMBO is going to try it tonight.

image-453619718.jpg

Back