Yet another DIY Stirplate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajsnow6234

Reaction score
So, this is an ironic post for me because I have yet to actually brew my own beer yet I enjoy "tinkering" enough that making a stir-plate intrigued me enough to throw one together. Most of what I used I had in the house, including the crappy little book/box it went into.

The only thing I have to finish is finding the right balance and position for the magnet and permanently securing it. My Erlenmeyer Flask and stir bar are on the way, so I improvised with what I had.

Enjoy the video...

Last edited by a moderator:
Man... only thing I see to improve that design is to locate the switch and potentiometer to the side opposite the spine of the "book" that way you could actually store the stirplate in a bookshelf and nobody would know the difference! haha!
Great looking stir plate BTW!!!

That was actually my plan, I really wanted to have both parts on one of the other sides, however both vertical edges of the "book" are curved enough so there would be a gap if I mounted them there. Still works just as well. Personally I just didn't really like the look of the project boxes at radio shack. I'm "on the hook" to make a couple more for brewing friends in the area now, so might use a cigar box.

I have a few extra cigar boxes laying around and thought about using them for a nicer looking stirplate. I think the book idea is killer.

Thanks man, I actually learned quickly that the book/box was not waterproof. Little drip of water made the decorative finish on it fade away. Might have been smart to spray it with a sealer of some sort.

Yeah. I'd look into sealing the whole thing. Except I already have about 10 old printer switch boxes ready to cut, and a couple of cigar boxes. I'd totally do a book if I didn't already have way too many things going on.

You should put a fake spine on it that reads "Stirplates, and the brewers who use them".

Latest posts

Back