Extra roasty nut brown ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluidmechanics

Reaction score
Hey so I bottled a nut brown ale 2 weeks ago and just got around to trying it. It has an unbelievably roasty finish when I had one. The recipe was as follows:
7 lbs pale, 2 lbs amber, .5 lbs crystal 60, .25 lbs chocolate @152 for 60 mins. .5 oz nugget @ 60 and .5 oz willamette @ 15, and WLP013. I hit my target OG of 1.049. I like the beer, I would compare it to smutty nose robust porter. But it's not what I was expecting. Is it possible this came from my brew process, is it the malt? Thanks.

The only ingredient in your recipe that would give the beer a roasty flavor is the chocolate malt. Some chocolate malt is common in a nut brown ale, I think, so you might just want to play with the proportions. You could also add the chocolate at mashout (stir it in when you are ready to drain the wort from the mashtun, in other words, don't mash the chocolate). This will impart some of the color and less of the flavor.

Back