How old is to old for yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Have a pack of Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan that says 03 Apr 12 is this yeast still okay to pitch? Or use for a starter. I was going to brew today but it's raining to hard and bad lightning so screwed. I so have. Two day old starter and I'm not sure it looks right. Taking a gravity reading soon but I'll show a current pic.

image-3171781871.jpg

It used to look like this below

image-2239493474.jpg

Attachments

• image-35075514.jpg
    image-35075514.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 193
  • image-1736008412.jpg
    image-1736008412.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 191
You have a 10% viability so you will need to make a stater I would do this in 2 stages a small 1.020 500ml starter then step it up to a 1000 or 1500 ml 1.035-040 starter than depending on your OG go from there to obtain the proper pitch rate.

In regards to age of yeast, April of this year is nothing....Read this old post by me.

If you make a starter, then the age of a yeast isn't really an issue. When you make a starter, and grow it, you're replicating more yeast to make up for any loss. You're making new, fresh yeast.

Bobby M did a test on year old stored yeast here; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/testing-limits-yeast-viability-126707/

And my LHBS cells outdated tubes and packs of yeast dirt cheap 2-3 dollars each and I usually grab a couple tubes of belgian or other interesting yeast when I am there and shove it in my fridge. and I have never had a problem with one of those tubes.

I usually make a starter but I once pitched a year old tube of Belgian High Gravity yeast directly into a 2.5 gallon batch of a Belgian Dark Strong, and after about 4 days it took off beautifully.
The purpose of a starter is to reproduce any viable cells in a batch of yeast....that;s how we can grow a starter form the dregs in a bottle of beer incrementally...and that beer may be months old.

Even if you have a few still living cells, you can grow them....That's how we can harvest a huge starter (incrementally) from the dregs in a bottle of some commercial beers. You take those few living cells and grow them into more.

It's to old when it stops working in a yeast starter. Make a new one as stated above and give it a whirl then toss it and buy some new stuff or use it.

I always brew with in date yeast, but for baking I buy my yeast in 2 pound vacuum packed lots. I fill a jar from the main packages and vauum the remainder which goes in the freezer. I have used yeasts stored this way that have been more than a year past the exp. date and have never noticed even the slightest difference in the final product.

I'm not sure if the yeasts designed for brewing are the same.

bosco

I have a 2.5 year old WLP and a 2 year old Wyeast that I am going to try to get started in the next month or so. If they work they work, and that is all that is needed. I have used year old yeast before without issue, so I am hopeful that the older yeasts will have a few viable beasties that will reproduce, but am ordering backups just in case . Anyway, living in Alaska I have had yeast shipped in the summer that has taken three weeks to get here and has sat in hot vehicles in the lower 48 for a few weeks, and they have been just fine. I have also had "fresh" yeast fail, so...........Good luck!

Meh, about an hour ago, I pitched a package of munich from '09.

Latest posts

Back