First mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronwynnyk

Reaction score
I am makin my first batch of mead and only doing 1 gallon just to try it out. It's been in the fermenter pail for 1 week. It seemed to be fermenting a bit but not like normal wine. The specific gravity has went from 1.8 to 1.5. But seems like its not fermenting anymore. I racked it into a Carnot and the airlock is showing no signs of gassing. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

I am makin my first batch of mead and only doing 1 gallon just to try it out. It's been in the fermenter pail for 1 week. It seemed to be fermenting a bit but not like normal wine. The specific gravity has went from 1.8 to 1.5. But seems like its not fermenting anymore. I racked it into a Carnot and the airlock is showing no signs of gassing. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
Don't know. Firstly you should post the exact recipe and method.....and more importantly for diagnosis correct format gravity numbers ( like 1.xxx) because at the moment any guess would be miles out..... the numbers you've posted would, if correct, be unfermentable. So we need clarification to help.

Welcome to the forums

Assuming your SG was 1.080 then 1.050.
As mentioned recipe would be helpful. But in general mead tends to be much slower than wine. Depending upon your recipe it can be nutrient poor which can impact overall fermentation. Then you have to consider your yeast, primary choice (bucket and no airlock or under airlock from the start, etc.).

I'm going to jump on this guys band wagon... I did my first mead today. I'm new to brewing in general and started making a gallon of something the past few Fridays. Today I was doing some beer and thought I would make some mead too.....

Here is what I did:
1/2 gallon( all I had was a glass milk jug)
2 lbs honey
Tiny bit of lavlin 1118
1/2 teaspoon nutrient
Spring water

It looks pretty and started making bubbles about an hour later.

I don't have any gravity readings( just bought a hydrometer, but keep forgetting to use it!)

Assuming your SG was 1.080 then 1.050.
As mentioned recipe would be helpful. But in general mead tends to be much slower than wine. Depending upon your recipe it can be nutrient poor which can impact overall fermentation. Then you have to consider your yeast, primary choice (bucket and no airlock or under airlock from the start, etc.).
Yes I also presumed that saramc but I generally figure its better the newer mead makers are encouraged to use the standard nomenclature and other listings, that way it doesn't matter what.....?..... dialect? of english is being used, we're all"singing from the same song sheet" plus I've found when I make presumptions I presume wrongly (like 1.118 and 1.115 etc).

I'm suspecting it could just be a long lag phase thing, but until/if the OP posts a response we won't know one way or another.

Latest posts

Back