Maybe im tasting it wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntingohio

Reaction score
Mybe its me but it seems that 80% of the craft beer available has been hopped beyond the point of recognition. Prime example last night I bought a 6er of magik hat brewerys' stout. The thing tasted like a septuple IPA.
It was so bitter that it tasted metallic. I would have gotte more joy from licking my cast iron pan. I stout is supposed to be roasty and delicous, like YETI or guiness are.

WTF is with this? ALL of the shipyards are this way, as well as a few of the great divides and a good bit of the great lakes brewery.

In 2010, the saying was "sour is the next bitter"

In 2011, they said "bitter with wheat/rye/stout is the next bitter"

In 2012, we say "too bitter is the next bitter"

I just cant see why the make thing diliberately over hopped, if i want to sip hop tea ill buy a double ipa, not a stout or a porter.

The metallic taste seems like a QA issue rather than a hops issue. Maybe the beer sat in contact with the cap too long (laying on its side)? Could also be way too much black malt.

I hear you about the bitterness though - doesn't seem to fit the style.

Latest posts

Back