Fermentation stopped, prematurely ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walther

Reaction score
Hi,

Pitched a Wyeast London ESB Ale XL 1968, sunday. It bubbled actively monday and some of tuesday, but this morning (wednesday) it had stopped completely.

Do you think it is finished and should I move it to secondary? or something else ?

It fermented at 22-24 degrees celsius.

Thank you,
walther

(OG=1.051, Volume=19L, Porter)

At 22-24 degrees, it probably just went pretty fast. 22C is listed as the highest optimum temperature that yeast should be fermented at. From Wyeast's site:
YEAST STRAIN: 1968 | London ESB Ale™

This extremely flocculent yeast produces distinctly malty beers. Attenuation levels are typically less than most other yeast strains making for a slightly sweeter finish. Ales produced with this strain tend to be fairly fruity. Fruitiness will increase with higher fermentation temperatures (70-74F, 21-23C). Diacetyl production is noticeable and a thorough rest is necessary. Yeast traps trub easily and autolysis during storage is accelaerated. A very good cask conditioned ale strain due to rapid and complete flocculation. Brilliantly bright beers are easily achieved without any filtration.

Since it recommends a thorough diacetyl rest, I'd leave it for two weeks in primary. Then taste for diacetyl. Diacetyl taste likes buttered popcorn in high amounts, and gives a slickness on the tongue in low amounts. Once the diacetyl is gone, then I'd rack to secondary and get it off of the trub.

Since this is a fairly fruity yeast, and you fermented it pretty warm, it may turn out pretty fruity tasting.

Thank you very much, guess I should have RTFM,... :)

I'll leave it alone another week, didn't know about diacetyl. Fruity is ok with me, but it may not be on target as it is an attempted Fuller London Porter clone.

Thank you,
walther

Back