Will this apple recipe work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jow145

Reaction score
for 6 gallons of wine

• 40 lb. apples
• 5 lb. granulated sugar
• 3 gallon water
• 3 gallons apple cider (no preservatives)
• Yeast Nutrient (1 tsp. per gallon)
• Pectic Enzyme (1/2 tsp. per gallon)
• Campden Tablet (1 per gallon)
• Acid Blend (1.5 tsp. per gallon)
• Grape Tannin (.25 tsp per gallon)
• Wine Yeast K1-V1116 or EC-1118 not sure yet

Chop the apples into small pieces, put into primary fermentation vessel, add the pectic enzyme, campden tablets and water and cover the mixture. After 24 hours, add the yeast, nutrient, acid blend, tannin, sugar, and apple juice. Keep covered and in a warm place for 7-10 days. When the vigorous fermentation goes to a crawl, strain the juice from the pulp and put into secondary fermentation vessel and fit with airlock. Add more sugar when most yeast has settle to sweeten wine. Rack when clear, bottle.

That sounds just about right, im not sure how much you will get out of 40 pounds of apples. How are you going to juice them ?

I was thinking of chopping the apple to a fine pulp and then just fermenting with them. Most of my apple flavor will be from the cider. I hope just to get a nice apple aroma from fermenting them. I have a 8 gallon bucket so I was thinking of adding about 3 gallons of finely chopped apples. Adding less water right away and adding more to secondary.

Back