First IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amity

Reaction score
So I've got a recipe I'd like to run by you all... It's my first IPA that I designed. Was originally going to be a California Common, but that was changed. This will be a "no-chill" brew.

10 Gallon batch
90% BH Efficiency

19 lb Canadian 2 row
2 lb Belgian Aromatic
2 lb Crystal 40L

FWH 1.5 oz Magnum pellet 13.0 %
60 mins 1.5 oz Magnum pellet 13.0 %
45 mins 1.5 oz Centennial pellet 8.3 %
45 mins 1.5 oz Amarillo pellet 7.0 %
15 mins 1.0 oz Centennial pellet 8.3 %
15 mins 1.0 oz Amarillo pellet 7.0 %

Dry hop 10 days 1.0 Centennial pellet 8.3

Bitterness
70.2 HBU
57.5 IBU

Gravity:
1.075 OG
1.020 estimated FG

BG:GU

I don't get the fwh of the magnum? Either fwh the whole bittering addition or use some of your 15 minute additions, like a half ounce of the cent and amarillo and leave the bittering addition.

I'll leave the grain bill to someone else.:mug:

I like it but is it truly 90% efficiency? I am in the mid 80's and I want to lower it to 75%. I heard of a few bad things you can extract at the 85+ zone. I think in my opinion your dry hop needs to be kicked up, 1oz for 10 gallons is not enough. I like to go 2-3 oz per 5 gallons. Let us know how it turns out please....

That's a lot of crystal, and you really want some aroma hops at the end of boil as well. Since the 45 minute addition probably won't do you much good, you could move .5 oz of each to 60 minutes and the rest to 0 minutes.

Oh, and Belgian Aromatic might be extremely aromatic. I don't think I'd use any of it in an IPA.

Latest posts

Back