Snowberry Honey Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outkikked

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever made a mead out of snowberry honey? From the few descriptions I can find scouring the interwebz, I can only find mixed reviews ranging from pineappley to very grassy and pungent.

Never tried it, but everything I've seen online says it has a butterscotch-like flavour, or hints of butterscotch. If you like butterscotch, I'd say try a 1 gallon batch of mead with the snowberry honey; just don't use the snowberry fruit:

"Common Snowberry (S. albus) is an important winter food source for quail, pheasant, and grouse, but is considered poisonous to humans. The berries contain the isoquinoline alkaloid chelidonine, as well as other alkaloids. Ingesting the berries causes mild symptoms of vomiting, dizziness, and slight sedation in children."

Regards, GF.

Thanks, GF. I definitely wasn't planning on using the berries. I've got 12 lbs of clover, snowberry and wildflower honey coming to me in the mail. Just wanted to see if anyone had any luck with and if it was worth making a 5-gallon batch of just snowberry honey in the future since I couldn't find much on the subject of mead with snowberry honey.

I just made a batch about a week ago of Snowberry honey mead. It is busy bubbling away at the moment. It seems to be much lighter than any other mead I have made. I started by boiling a gallon of water then turned it off. I slowly added and stirred in the honey to dissolve it. I waited for it to cool and added it to the carboy and added water to top it off at roughly 5 gals. I added a re-constituted packet of Primer Cuvee yeast and some yeast nutrient. Fermentation took off within a few hours and continues strongly thus far. BTW, how did yours turn out? ArmyMike

PS I started with 1 gallon of honey.

Last edited:
Back