Red-Headed Step Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eweb44

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast 1084
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
18 *L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14days 60*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14days 60*F
Tasting Notes
Very malty/carmel, probably a bit too sweet for some, slightest hint of dark malts
4 lbs British Pale
3 oz British Crystal 95-115L
7 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Flaked Barley

5 lbs Light DME

Hops Schedule:
1.0 oz Kent Goldings 5% - 60mins
0.5 oz Fuggles 5% - 30mins

Yeast: Wyeast 1084 XL - Irish Ale

Grains were mashed for 90 mins at ~64*C. The temperature was maintained by removing 2quarts of the mashing liquor and bring it to a boil. A mashout was performed by heating the mash to 75*C. The mash was sparged with 3gallons of 80*C water. This was brought to a boil then the DME and hops were added. After one hour the wort was chilled and brought up to 5gallons with cold water. Yeast was pitched.

It was fermented for 14days in both the 1* and 2* fermenters. For bottling 1/2cup of white sugar was added.

I allowed the beer to age for about 10days before popping open the first one. It was sweeter than I had aimed for with a very strong malt and carmel taste. Carbonation was also less than I wanted, and it has not seemed to increase with aging.

All in all I definately enjoy the ale quite a bit, and I will be brewing it again with small tweeks. I would add more hops at the 60 minute addition to off set some of the sweetness, a spicy noble hop, perhaps Hallertau, would be well suited to add some more complexity. Also I might consider bumping up the amount of roasted barley. It was perceivable, but a more assertive presence would not go amiss.

Back