What would you classify this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegame310

Reaction score
I made this beer the other day after a trip to the LHBS

3.3 Pilsen Extract
3.3 Munich Extract

.5 Chinook - 60
.25 Simcoe - 60
.25 Fuggle - 25
1 Fuggle - 0

All fermented with WLP011, European Ale

What (if anything) would it classify as?

So when I am just pulling something together I found that brewersfriend (a site, you should be able to google it) has an interesting feature that you can put in your info and it will come out with potential options of what the beer could be considered... obviously it may fit into a number of different categories so a more in depth look into the ingredients and flavor profile will give you a better distinction, but to point you in some direction that might help. (simply go to new recipe and put in your stuff, I dont have an account that I use so I lose all of my info after I'm done, but it's something at least).

When I put the recipe that you had into it, it said it could be categorized into:
Belgian Specialty Ale, Fruit Beer, Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer, Specialty Beer

Then you know it's not a spice, herb, vegetable or fruit beer, and since you dont have a Belgian yeast, it would be a "specialty beer"... ultimately its beer. if you need a label on it make one up... maybe call it a light colored mild.... or a weak pale ale...

That's all I got I guess... Otherwise lookup BJCP guidelines and see where you think it would fit in.

Plugging the ingredients into Beersmith, the numbers fall into the range of a Special Bitter, though the Chinook and Simcoe aren't very traditional hops for that and you probably wouldn't see that mix of malts. Whatever it is, it should be pretty tasty, nice crisp bitterness balanced with some nice maltiness since that yeast has somewhat low attenuation. I think it'll be pretty good.

It's not something even remotely close to any of the BCJP styles- I'd go with "amber ale." It's not american, german, or british anything, but it is amber colored and should be dry-ish with a little fuggle aroma/flavor.

Latest posts

Back