Isomerized Hop Extract question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vespa

Reaction score
So, I wanted to make an American Strong Ale similar to Arrogant Bastard. The problem I have is that I only can do a 3 gallon boil so I knew my bitterness was going to be about half of where I needed them to be. (I added the bulk of the DME late to try and compensate some) The folks at my LHBS suggested I use isomerized hop extract to raise the IBUs. It is a syringe with a green liquid in it and it states 65 IBU's in one gallon or 13 IBUs when added to 5 gallons. They suggested adding it when I go to secondary so I can gauge how much I need.

I took a hydro sample yesterday and the SG was a bit high at 1.022 (the OG was 1.076). The sample tasted amazing. The bitterness was there but about half what I would like. As a test i added a drop of the hop extract to the sample. The whole thing turned milky! Cloudy as if I had poured milk into the sample. I'm not sure why I went on to taste it but I did and it was a foul taste that I still have in my mouth a half day and 3 teeth brushings later.

So what do you think happened? Was the concentration of 1 drop to the sample size too great? Is the milky color because it killed the yeast? Most importantly I am not liking the idea of adding this stuff to my beer if there is a chance it will do this to the whole 5 gallons. Searches for 'hop' and 'extract' pretty much return this whole forum so it has been hard to research :) Thanks!

You probably added way too much. It got cloudy because you probably delivered far too much hop oil for that amount of beer - that much cannot dissolve in beer. Try doing a 10 x dilution by adding 1 drop of the extract to 9 drops of vodka, mix, and add one drop of that to the beer.

That is a great suggestion, I just went by the LHBS to ask about this and they thought the concentration was too high as well but they do have a call into the manufacturer for me to verify.

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would update it with my experiences. I have used the isomerized hop extract a few times now and the suggestion to mix with vodka is really the best way to go. I put it into a shot glass with the vodka and add it that way. It does make the solution cloudy where it initially hits but that does go away after a day or two once it dilutes. The Arrogant Bastard clone I made was a huge success and the hop balance was right on target for what I was looking for. I have since moved to all grain and full boils, so I don't really need to use this anymore, but I can recommend it for extract brewers needing to increase their IBUs.

Latest posts

Back