Hard Lemonade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bovineblitz said:
I think the real concern is severe overcarbonation, those bottles can take up to 200psi so I doubt they'll explode. Even if they do, it'll just be messy is all, maybe you can put them in a plastic bin or something?

Ok... Thanks.

So if it does not drop more in a day or two you would feel it's ready to bottle?

I would like to back sweeten to 1.020. I would gather the best way to do that in my case is to add some sorbate and campden tablets, let that sit for a day or two and then add the sugar and let that sit and then bottle after I have checked that it is not fomenting again.

Ok... Thanks.

So if it does not drop more in a day or two you would feel it's ready to bottle?

I would like to back sweeten to 1.020. I would gather the best way to do that in my case is to add some sorbate and campden tablets, let that sit for a day or two and then add the sugar and let that sit and then bottle after I have checked that it is not fomenting again.

Make sure it's completely clear before you attempt to stabilize. Clear, like read a newspaper through it clear. Once it's completely clear, you can rack off of the lees into the sorbate/campden solution and let it sit. A few days later, add your sweetener, let it sit a few days. Check the SG again to ensure it's not changing. Then it can be bottled.

Hi

Ok, great advice, thanks.

It is no where near that stage; I can't see through it at all. However, it is clearing. I can see the lees on the bottom.

I guess perhaps it just needs to sit longer.

If there is no fermentation happening, what would cause the small bubbles?

Also, we have had a very cold spring, so the house is cold. We had to turn the heat up in the house today. I wonder if that would slow it down some?

Hi

Ok, great advice, thanks.

It is no where near that stage; I can't see through it at all. However, it is clearing. I can see the lees on the bottom.

I guess perhaps it just needs to sit longer.

If there is no fermentation happening, what would cause the small bubbles?

Also, we have had a very cold spring, so the house is cold. We had to turn the heat up in the house today. I wonder if that would slow it down some?

Co2 comes out of solution, so that could be one reason you're seeing bubbles. A cooler fermentation definitely could slow things down.

Yooper said:
Co2 comes out of solution, so that could be one reason you're seeing bubbles. A cooler fermentation definitely could slow things down.

Thank you Yooper. Maybe I need to get a warming belt on the Carboy

I just kegged my first batch of this, and already have a second going. My first batch went from 1.094 to .994 (13.3%abv). Backsweetened to 1.025, and everyone loves it. If you add a little coke, it tastes a lot like a Long Island Iced Tea!

bergquistb said:
I just kegged my first batch of this, and already have a second going. My first batch went from 1.094 to .994 (13.3%abv). Backsweetened to 1.025, and everyone loves it. If you add a little coke, it tastes a lot like a Long Island Iced Tea!

How long did it take to get to .994?

Just had a peek at the temperature and it's 72 degrees. I wonder if it could benefit from a heating belt?

Yooper said:
No, that's plenty warm enough. I bet the acidity has been inhospitable to the yeast. If it is still at the same FG next week, it'd be ok to bottle.

Thanks.

Even if it's not clear?

Do you suggest I put campden tablets and sorbate?

I would gather that if it is done and I do bottle it, it will be carbonated as it still has bubbles. Win/ win for me

Thanks.

Even if it's not clear?

Do you suggest I put campden tablets and sorbate?

I would gather that if it is done and I do bottle it, it will be carbonated as it still has bubbles. Win/ win for me

I'd rather it was clear- but if not, you could wait it out if you want to. If you want to carbonate it, don't use campden and sorbate. If you're not carbonating, it's not a bad idea to use it.

Yooper said:
I'd rather it was clear- but if not, you could wait it out if you want to. If you want to carbonate it, don't use campden and sorbate. If you're not carbonating, it's not a bad idea to use it.

Ok... Just so I'm clear.

- Currently it seems to have stalled at 1.012.

- There seems to be a burp in the airlock once every 30 seconds or so.

- I see tiny bubbles going up the side (towards the neck)

- It is clearing but it is not see through.

What option do you suggest:

1) wait it out and let it clear (then do option 2

2) put campden tablets and now then back sweeten and bottle now.

Question: Since there are tiny bubbles, if I do bottle now will it be carbonated or will the bubbles settle.

3) rack off the lees and then do step 1 or 2.

I hope this is not too confusing, just not sure what the best thing to do is.

Thanks

Just checked reading and it is still at 1.012

It taste good. Has a slight yeast taste, but it's faint. You can taste the lemon. Also, has a slight bitter taste; kind of like lemon rind.

Just checked reading and it is still at 1.012

It taste good. Has a slight yeast taste, but it's faint. You can taste the lemon. Also, has a slight bitter taste; kind of like lemon rind.

Can you put it somewhere cold? That will clear it faster. I think if it's still at 1.012, it's not going to go any lower. The acidic environment can poison the yeast. It should taste pretty good at 1.012.

Yooper said:
Can you put it somewhere cold? That will clear it faster. I think if it's still at 1.012, it's not going to go any lower. The acidic environment can poison the yeast. It should taste pretty good at 1.012.

I think it's in the coldest place in the house.

What about using some clearing liquid you can buy at the brewing store?

Less than 24 hours after pitching the yeast starter into it

ForumRunner_20110615_202411.jpg

Hey Misfit, what are you doing with that can of pineapple juice in the background? Hmmm, Pineapple-lemonade?

bovineblitz said:
For me I went from 1.081 to .993 at a month and a couple days.

Bovineblitz,

Was yours completely cleared when the fermentation was done or when you legged?

Bovineblitz,

Was yours completely cleared when the fermentation was done or when you legged?

I let it sit for a few more days after the reading and it was cleared. It looked mostly cleared when I took the reading but I gave it a few days, figured more time couldn't hurt.

bovineblitz said:
I let it sit for a few more days after the reading and it was cleared. It looked mostly cleared when I took the reading but I gave it a few days, figured more time couldn't hurt.

Excellent.

Mine stalled at 1.012 and it's not cleared. Hmm... What do do??

Yooper said:
You don't have to. You can try some isinglass or sparkeloid, but it probably won't work that well until the yeast decides to fall out anyway on its own. Cold will really help that- it makes the yeast inactive.

The lemonade fluctuates between 72 and 74. If I put the Carboy in ice, would that work?

My batch has been at1.012 for two weeks. So I know it's done fermenting.

I want to backsweeten using "wine sweetener & conditioner", which is sucrose and potassium sorbate mix.

Should I rack the lemonade onto crushed campden tablets and sweeten with the conditioner at the same time? If I do, can I bottle right away?

Also I would like to flavor some with cranberry juice. I thought of just putting some cranberry juice in the pop bottle and add the lemonade to it. Would I have any issues with that?

Derrick123 said:

I want to backsweeten using "wine sweetener & conditioner", which is sucrose and potassium sorbate mix.

Should I rack the lemonade onto crushed campden tablets and sweeten with the conditioner at the same time? If I do, can I bottle right away?

Also I would like to flavor some with cranberry juice. I thought of just putting some cranberry juice in the pop bottle and add the lemonade to it. Would I have any issues with that?

Just bringing this up to the top.

Also wanted to say that I added clarifier 2 days ago and there is tons of sediment on the bottom of the Carboy.

Can't wait to try it.

If you're using wine conditioner, no need to rack onto the campden. That has a stabilizer right in it.

What I would do, though, is rack off the sediment now and add the wine conditioner. Let it sit a few days, then possibly add the cranberry juice to it then. That way you can be safe if fermentation starts up again. It shouldn't but even with wine conditioner, you never know.

Yooper said:
If you're using wine conditioner, no need to rack onto the campden. That has a stabilizer right in it.

What I would do, though, is rack off the sediment now and add the wine conditioner. Let it sit a few days, then possibly add the cranberry juice to it then. That way you can be safe if fermentation starts up again. It shouldn't but even with wine conditioner, you never know.

Thanks Yooper.

. I just took a reading and now that it has cleared quite a bit the reading went from 1.012 to more around 1.010.

It has been "stuck" at 1.012 for two weeks. Do you think it dropped because of the clearing or is it possible it is starting to ferment again?

I took my reading by putting the hydrometer in a wine thief.

Thanks Yooper.

. I just took a reading and now that it has cleared quite a bit the reading went from 1.012 to more around 1.010.

It has been "stuck" at 1.012 for two weeks. Do you think it dropped because of the clearing or is it possible it is starting to ferment again?

I took my reading by putting the hydrometer in a wine thief.

I don't know! I guess the only thing to do is to check it again tomorrow.

I really can't wait to try my batch. Smells nice. I still can't find my hydrometer. I'm just playing this one by ear.

Misfit said:
I really can't wait to try my batch. Smells nice. I still can't find my hydrometer. I'm just playing this one by ear.

Hi misfit,

When did you start yours?

Is there still activity in the airlock?

What does yours taste like? Mine has a hint of sweetness, a flavor of lemon and a bit of bitterness at the end.

I hope to flavor half of mine with cranberry juice. I will backsweeten mine as well.

Back