Clarifying :3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabrew

Reaction score
So I've just tranfered my "Cooper's" Canadian Blonde Beer into the secondary fermenter so I get to see it's wonderful color. However It's pretty cloudy. Any suggestions for ensuring that it clarifies?

That will mostly happen naturally over time if you let it sit still. If you feel so inclined you can use a fining agent such as polyclar or gelatin to clean it up some more. There's also a technique called "cold crashing" where you drop the temperature of the wort down to encourage the yeast to go dormant and fall out of solution.

I find that letting it sit is sufficient for my needs.

Read the threads about using gelatin. Very easy to do and when used in conjunction with cold crashing will make your beer as clear as any filtered beer you can buy in the store.

patience is the name of the game here my son. just give it a couple weeks then another 3 weeks in a bottle and it'll be clear.

i actually just noticed the same thing in my first bottle of my first batch. ok ill admit is supposed to age for another 2 weeks so i kinda knew it would happen but after its done aging just letting it chill in the fridge is cold crashing right. i drank it warm cause im impatient. so far not the best beer ever but not to bad. curious to taste again in two weeks. also was kinda flat with little bubbles that died quickly and a thick head that died fast. thinking there may have been soap residue in glass. will that also fix over time or do i just need to let it age properly.

I just bought some fancy geltine for clarifying brews. Never used it before but I'm doing a batch this friday. After racking and pitching the warm mix, did you cool down everything so it settled or it just happened without chilling the beer? The solids come out the form of cloggy gelatin or does it come out like turbid liquid through the drain?

Gelatin, eh? Is there any options for clarifying that are not animal derived products?

GTlaw is right patience my good son. (dang,Fransizkaner goes good with vodka!) :drunk: I let my beers sit about 3-7 days after FG in primary to settle out clear or slightly misty in primary. Screw secondary unless I'm oaking or something. They're clear or nearly so going into the bottles. After three days or so in bottles,they're crystal clear & beautiful. Try this & see for yourdself. It's what many of us have been talking about. I just learned very early last year what patience I learned in wine making caries over to beer. Nas Dahrovye!

Gelatin, eh? Is there any options for clarifying that are not animal derived products?
I don't think so for adding after the fact (I could be wrong though). The other options are added during the boil (irish moss, whirlock, etc).

Back