Cranberry Maibock 1st Mr. Beer batch !!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdouglas

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Brand new to home "mixing" and the forum. I recently ordered two kegs and three mixes from Amazon.com/Mr.Beer.com.

I tried the cranberry maibock first, and realize now that I would have done some things differently in the mixing and boiling process. At this point, it freak'n stinks. I hope that it winds up tasting better than this.

Thant being said, my keg is creating some serious foam at the moment and it has not even been a full 24 hours. I have it sitting at the bottom of a closet on a wood floor. The keg is inside a container in case she blows. The temperature in the room looks to be between 72 and 74 degrees. I was happy to see that it is foaming that much in less than a day, but have some concerns that the keg will overflow.

What if it does? How do I recover. I have the nozzle and the lid tightened on with a death grip. Should I loosen the top lid on the Mr. Beer some so that it can get air? Should I have the lid to the container that it is in snapped shut?

Assuming that it does not blow, I am going to leave it for two weeks. Does it pay to leave it for a long time in the keg, or will the yeast only do so much in two weeks? Also, it says to leave bottled for 3 or 4 weeks. Should I double this time? Is there a payoff to using the corn sugar that I have read about? How long should I place them in the fridge after having them at room temp?

I really would appreciate answers to all of these questions. It would probably make the process gel in my head. I want to graduate into some real machinery in about six months. Hopefully the Mr. Beer containers will simply be self-serve tanks by then.

Thanks guys,
Douglas

Back