my first 'true' mini-mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
I've done several extract only kits, and even more mini-mash kits from AHS. In all of the previous mini-mash kits that I've done I steeped all of the grains that they sent me for ~45 min then proceeded to boil. I'm happy with the quality of the beers produced via this method, but like most brewers I strive to make the step to AG.

I'm halfway to AG. I have my cooler converted, but I don't have a kettle large enough to do full boils as of yet. I'm going to the LHBS tomorrow to pickup the goods for my first attempt at doing an actual mini-mash in my new MLT (no steeping in the brew kettle), but as most brewers are when they take the next step - I'm a bit hesitant simply because I'm afraid that I'll mess it up somehow.

I plan on keeping it pretty simple with a single step mash and a batch sparge. I'd like to boil as much as I possibly can in my 22 qt. kettle, which is probably going to limit me to about 4.5 gallons.

Here is the grain bill that I have planned:

1.5 lb Belgian pilsner
1 lb Belgian (or American) 2 row
1 lb Flaked oats
1 lb Flaked Wheat

If I remember correctly, i think that I've read on here before that I should account for roughly 1.5 qt/pound for sparging? (I certainly could be wrong here, as I just searched and I could not verify this information) If the above information of 1.5 qt./lb is correct I would be sparging with 6.75 qt or roughly 1 3/4 gallons of water.

I plan on bringing 2.5 gallons of water to 155-160 then doughing in and holding for 60 minutes in my MLT.

My main f-up concerns are regarding the sparge water per pounds of grain calculation and the actual process of batch sparging. How exactly do you all do your batch sparging?

Do you drain out the MLT then pour all of the sparge water in all at once?
Do you introduce the sparge water with wort still in the MLT? (related to question above)
Should I batch sparge twice with 1/2 of the required water each time?
Should I re-introduce the first runnings (and if so, how much?)

I apologize if these are all goofy questions that are not worthy of some of the resident EAC's, but I'm stoked about doing my first mash and I want to make a great beer at the same time.

BTW - I decided to introduce the Flaked oats and Wheat in an effort to reproduce the color of Hoegaarden as I will be using the yeast that I've cultivated from Hoegaarden bottles and stepped up twice.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

ohiobrewtus said:
If I remember correctly, i think that I've read on here before that I should account for roughly 1.5 qt/pound for sparging? (I certainly could be wrong here, as I just searched and I could not verify this information) If the above information of 1.5 qt./lb is correct I would be sparging with 6.75 qt or roughly 1 3/4 gallons of water.

I plan on bringing 2.5 gallons of water to 155-160 then doughing in and holding for 60 minutes in my MLT.

My main f-up concerns are regarding the sparge water per pounds of grain calculation and the actual process of batch sparging. How exactly do you all do your batch sparging?

Do you drain out the MLT then pour all of the sparge water in all at once?
Do you introduce the sparge water with wort still in the MLT? (related to question above)]
Should I batch sparge twice with 1/2 of the required water each time?
Should I re-introduce the first runnings (and if so, how much?)

I apologize if these are all goofy questions that are not worthy of some of the resident EAC's, but I'm stoked about doing my first mash and I want to make a great beer at the same time.

BTW - I decided to introduce the Flaked oats and Wheat in an effort to reproduce the color of Hoegaarden as I will be using the yeast that I've cultivated from Hoegaarden bottles and stepped up twice.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

I sparge with 2q. per pound.
1. yes, drain it then pour the sparge water in.
2.no you can do a mash out, I never do one.
3.you can do it this way if you can not fit all the water in at once.
4. do this until the runnings are not cloudy anymore. You will see what im talking about when you do it. Just make sure to pour it back in gently. I put a plate on the grain bed sometimes so I don't dig a hole.

Also you only need to mash in with 1.4 gallons of water or 5.6Q. With 2 1/2 gallons your mash will be very thin.
I am still pretty new to all grain, so others might have better answers.

Best of luck.:mug:

Good answers.

Don't re-introduce the first runnings, that will just reduce the efficiency.

I split the sparge water. The extraction is better. I also stir for about 5 minutes after adding.

You might consider some rice hulls. Going above ~25% wheat/oats is getting into the sticky zone. You are almost at 50% oat/wheat to base malt there and may find your sparge stuck like glue. A mash out would also help. Getting that wort up to 170f before lautering really will help it flow.

All very excellent responses. Thanks guys.

I thought about some rice hulls because of all of the flakes that I'm using. It's either rice hulls or mash with a bit more water.

I'd really like to add another rest to this mach at about 170, but the water required to raise the temperature to 170 combined with the amoutn of wather that I need to sparge with will put me above the capacity of my boil kettle, so I'll just have to hope for the best.

Thanks again for the great advice all.

Thanks again to all who replied. I brewed this yesterday and I must say that it was certainly not as overwhelming as I was expecting it to be.

Both the mash and sparge went well. I ended up with an og of 1.044 vs. the 1.049 that QBrew said I should have, but all in all I'm very pleased with the results, and once I get a boil kettle large enough I'm certainly going to try my hand at a full AG brew.

Back