Wine aerator funnel for wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_striker

Reaction score
My gf has one of those little wine funnels that aerates wine. It really seems to work.

I was thinking that I would try to put the funnel on top of the better bottle when transferring cooled wort. Anyone try this?

Some people do the same effect by poking some holes in a siphon tube. It pulls oxygen bubbles in as the wort flows by.

I seriosly doubt it helps that much... Or, at least enough to no longer have to shake the carboy, stir with a mixer, or use a oxygen stone.

Some people do the same effect by poking some holes in a siphon tube. It pulls oxygen bubbles in as the wort flows by.

I seriosly doubt it helps that much... Or, at least enough to no longer have to shake the carboy, stir with a mixer, or use a oxygen stone.

I believe you're referring to this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-aeration-gadget-68218/. Works on the same principle (venturi) as the wine thingy,

I would assume that the Vinturi or whatever brand you refer to would probably work, but I think it'd be sslllooooowwwwww. Might be better off working up a gadget per the linked thread.

I tried this, but I don't have a big enough drop from kettle to fermenter, and didn't want to siphon, so it got messy. I just recently bit the bullet and got an oxygenation system.

I believe you're referring to this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-aeration-gadget-68218/. Works on the same principle (venturi) as the wine thingy,

I would assume that the Vinturi or whatever brand you refer to would probably work, but I think it'd be sslllooooowwwwww. Might be better off working up a gadget per the linked thread.

I tried this, but I don't have a big enough drop from kettle to fermenter, and didn't want to siphon, so it got messy. I just recently bit the bullet and got an oxygenation system.

If it will drain a the same rate as the auto siphon fills it, it will be no slower than usual.

The tube with holes in it would drain just as fast as siphoning it off. I'd suggest multiple holes, the guys in the post only put one.

The actual wine aerater would be slower. I have the large one, and the inner diameter of the exit is small... Made for basically aerating one glass at a time.

I guess it couldn't hurt. I just think you'll end up having to shake it anyway. Price of a wine mixer is half that of a venturi aerater.

Grabbed a picture of one... Quarter for size. I can't imagine doing 5 gallons through this... But the pricipal is easily applied to with the siphoning mod.

ForumRunner_20120130_212350.jpg

Grabbed a picture of one... Quarter for size. I can't imagine doing 5 gallons through this... But the pricipal is easily applied to with the siphoning mod.

View attachment 45731

That's the one I have.

Im going to test it with some water in the near future.

My auto-siphon tube is not very big. I'm thinking that the funnel will drain as fast as the auto siphon fills it. We'll see though

Back