Fermenting 1 gallon brew in MrBeer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
Can I do a 1 gallon Carabou slobber brew and ferment it in the 2.5 gallon MrBeer keg? Would there be too much headspace for the 1 gallon in that keg to keep it from fermenting properly?

I've done 5 gallon batches in my 6 gallon carboy. I would think it would be fine. I would suggest a small carboy and an airlock for the adventure, but the Mr Beer Keg should work if that is what you have. Not sure how vigorous the yeast is vs how much head room you have but why not a 2 gallon? or 1.5?

Well, the kit from NB is a one gallon kit. I guess I could double up, but would rather just brew a gallon of it since Ive never had it. If I hate it, Ill only be out a gallon.

lots of one gallon brewers use 2 gallon buckets as their fermenters.

i don't see a problem with using your mr. beer the same way

The head space in the primary will fill up with co2 so that should not be a problem. I use a Mr. Beer fermentor for small batches (1 to 2 1/2 gal) often, and never had an issue that I could attribute to too much head space.

I use a 2-gallon bucket for a primary fermenter on 1-gallon batches. I tried 1-gallon carboys (apple juice jugs) and just lost too much brew due to blowoff and trub.

2.5 gallons is a little more but I think you'll be fine.

Back