Smart & Final sanitizer, anyone else use this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rey830

Reaction score
The other day at Smart and Final, I was in search of a very large brew pot, when I came upon their cleaning/sanitizing solution. I was impressed at the price for a gallon of this stuff. Reading the label, I saw that it was food grade, and could safely be used in sinks, beverage dispensers, ice machines etc. It can also be used to sanitize utensils and all food consumption "tools", and is no rinse. Compared to StarSan, the price was great. I use about one ounce to soak and sanitize my brewing buckets. It foams up just like StarSan. I don't remember the exact price, but I want to say the gallon was under $15. Anyone else use this stuff or are there any concerns you can think of that I overlooked?

IMG_20121027_075210.jpg

i work for a commercial winery and we use it all the time for cleaning stainless tank etc

Do you know what the minimum contact time is? I was just at Smart & Final today (for the first time) and had a feeling they would have something like this. Just didn't have time to look around.

I don't know if I'd use it. It has ammonium and chloride in it. The active ingredients are dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride, and dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chloride.

Back