Wheat beer fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoronBrothersBrewery

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just brewed what I hope is going to be a watermelon wheat (1.051 OG). 50/50 2-row & wheat, mashed 152, hopped with Willamette, and pitched 1.3L Starter of WLP001. Fermenting at 67 deg, plan on racking over 2 lbs. of watermelon. It's been about 48 hours, and I see some krausen, some co2 building, but that's about it. No bubbling in the blow-off tube. Usually with this yeast, I've got a full vigorious fermentation going on. Also noticed "clumps" of, what I think is yeast, up near the top of the carboy. Never brewed a wheat beer before, so just wondering about these "clumps". Is it the wheat maybe? or the yeast? Just wondering why no real active fermentation. Thanks.

First- welcome to HBT!

I wouldn't worry too much. You say you see krausen and signs of some CO2 building, so it is probably fermenting away. Maybe there is no bubbling in the blow-off tube because there is some CO2 leaking out somewhere else... maybe the seal at the top of the carboy isn't airtight. The clumps you're seeing could be yeast. They could also be related to the wheat, since it is higher in protein. In fact, it could be that the yeast is binding to the proteins. Sounds reasonable, right? At any rate, it is normal and the clumps should settle out. As far as making sure that the fermentation is complete, try checking the gravity in a couple days.

Good luck!

Washed yeast or purchased? I just did a batch of IPA with washed 001 and it took almost 72 hours to take off, and never really went crazy. Got down to 1.010 though. Don't worry about it.

As previously stated, if there's a krausen, then it's fermenting. Be prepared for the barrage of "airlock/blow-off activity is not a sign of fermentations" posts... As long as the yeast didn't smell 'off' before it was pitched, then you'll be fine.

Back