Grain Crushing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeves1982

Reaction score
The video I watched on All Grain showed crushing grain with a grain mill. They said you could use a coffee grinder, but I would think that would pulverize the grain. A grain mill cost $150... Is there an extremely effective way of crushing the grain without a mill that is inexpensive?

Thanks,
Mike

There are less expensive mills based on the Corona flour mill. They can be set to crush grain, not make flour. A fair amount of work but only $20-40. less used.

Its not really a matter of freshness since the store just mills the whole grain before they send it to you.

Whole gives you more flexibility and control. You can order bulk amounts of a few malts (2 row, MO, Munich etc). Then if you keep a few lbs of some crystals, dark and other specialty malts on hand, you can pretty much make any style of beer out there. Brewing becomes easier. You can just break out the scale and measure out the ingredients.

There is also a good bit of cost savings by buying in bulk. Also, most brewers see a rise in efficiency by milling their own grain. You usually can't adjust the mills at a HBS (Ed at Brewmasters Warehouse will though!)

I use a corona mill it cost me like 20 shipped and I had all the other stuff I needed to get it working. I have only used it twice now but my efficiencies were 75 and 79 so it works well.

This has come up a couple times. I would see if your LHBS will change their mill's settings for you, otherwise I would look at a corona mill or another commercially available variety. My efficiency went up ~10% when I started milling my own grains.

Have you read through this thread? Just picked up my pasta machine at Micheal's for $20 and am going to knurl the rollers using a drillbit the way the thread describes! For $20 you really can't go wrong.

As mentioned before.the Corona type mills work well and are so much cheaper. I grind my grain really fine and have been in the 86% efficiency range. I think I had mine on my door for something like 23 bucks off of ebay.

Until I build a more permanent holder for it, I clamp it to a sawhorse and tie a plastic bag around it. I also hook up my drill instead of the handle it comes with. I did 19 lbs of grain in about 10 minutes.

Its not really a matter of freshness since the store just mills the whole grain before they send it to you.

Whole gives you more flexibility and control. You can order bulk amounts of a few malts (2 row, MO, Munich etc). Then if you keep a few lbs of some crystals, dark and other specialty malts on hand, you can pretty much make any style of beer out there. Brewing becomes easier. You can just break out the scale and measure out the ingredients.

There is also a good bit of cost savings by buying in bulk. Also, most brewers see a rise in efficiency by milling their own grain. You usually can't adjust the mills at a HBS (Ed at Brewmasters Warehouse will though!)

Exactly, I'd also like to add that crushed grain won't store for very long before going stale, whereas uncrushed will store for a year or more. So when you don't have a mill you pretty much have to order grain (or go to the LHBS) for each brew.

Someone said you have to make adjustments to the corona mill. What are the adjustments?

You have to adjust the spacing between the plates, it comes from the factory set for flour, so you have to space them apart accordingly.

A corona mill will work very well to start with. It gets your foot in the door, if you will. Some would worry about shredding the husks, but if you have a good MLT system, or don't brew with troublesome ingredients, you might not need to worry about it at all.

Later on, when you have some money sitting in your pocket and you are trying to think of yet another brewing item to purchase, you might consider upgrading to a roller mill.

I've never personally used a corona mill. I just built my own crusher with the equipment at work. Should go finish the second one actually.

Someone said you have to make adjustments to the corona mill. What are the adjustments?

The typical adjustment, which I had to do to make mine at all functional is to install two flat washers on each side of the grinding plate clamps. Without them it's difficult to adjust the grinding gap to be consistant.

this is what my grain looks like...

2rowb.JPG

Exactly, I'd also like to add that crushed grain won't store for very long before going stale, whereas uncrushed will store for a year or more. So when you don't have a mill you pretty much have to order grain (or go to the LHBS) for each brew.

OK, whole grain stays fresher, I sure appreciate that one Conpewter. I am guessing that by keeping a few pounds on hand, you can buy grain on sale, and save a few pennies. I am sure that All Grain Brewing will be cheaper, and a better brew all around. I am sold on buying a grinder...I am sold on building a Mash Tun... Please tell me, anyone, your feelings on grinder specs. I saw one for under fifty bucks, but I saw one on youtube that you can hook a cordless to. I have a cordless, I also have a 48 year old arm! Will any grinder work?

Appreciate any help.:mug:

I went the Corona mill route, haven't looked back (got a "Victoria" from Discount Tommy on eBay, $24 shipped). If you look around, you'll find some disagreement on whether or not the Corona / Victoria / Grizzly (it's made in Latin America, and sold here under a number of names.....and prices) mill will do the job, but all I can say is that mine does a great job crushing my grains.
You will probably have to do some tweaking and adjustments to it. This thread is great for helping:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

My install is detailed in this thread, along with that of others who are certainly more competent at DIY than I am. If you're not comfortable with this, I also suggest that you just have the LHBS crush the grains for you. In the past year, I brewed maybe 25-30 5 gal. batches, and a $150 roller mill is just plain overkill for what I do.

I just brewed my first all grain this week. Got this mill. H7775 Cast Iron Corn / Grain Mill My preboil gravity showed me 83% efficiency. After reading that junk thread I made the few adjustments, no problem it appears.

Thanks Rico,
That thread is hilarious! I learned a lot, and am going to go with that setup with the grinder enclosed in the top bucket. No muss, no fuss.
Didn't find your grinder there. I WAS drinking while learning.

I see it now Rico, page 21 fourth one down, looks good! I figured out how to click those linky things. Drinking and learning don't mix for me....I guess I got to give up learning.:mug:

I got my Corona-like mill setup together, with a Mash Tun to go along with it. When I get a wild hair, I'll get some pics up.

Appreciate it, z987k

I since have bought two 50lb sacks pale 6 row, and wheat. I got a good 10 gallon batch with about 21 pale and 6 wheat. Lots of kick in a very light wheat brew. I see the savings!

I know the recipe is very flawed, I went crazy with the grinder, I got grinder setup running, and shoot...."Did I just grind 21 pounds of Pale?"

LHBS told me to add Crystal Malt to it for body, 10 pale/10 wheat would get me about 5% alcohol. I need to make some lower alcohol brews, I am going to go blind at this rate! Seems like every time I make a batch it is around 10% (6 years-lots of gallons).

Back