Party Idea- Read only if you enjoy pre-caffinated rambling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Last night 2 of our dear friends came over. We had dinner, we laughed, we discussed ex-significant other sightings and played cards... and we brewed mead.

I had purchased 5 pounds of the store-bought mystery honey (again) and had already used a pound on my Molotov Capiscumel. :rockin: So now I had 4left.

This means I had 3 lbs. to make a gallon batch, and a left over lb. :confused:

So, at someone's suggestion here (Ive forgotten whom, but that doesnt mean Im not grateful), the gallon batch became a mixed berry JAO-style melomel. It looks lovely, by the way.

The remaining pound I decided would be a collaborative recipe. Just how bad could ruining a liter of mead be? (Im sure I will find out).

After several ideas were tossed around, including bay leaf metheglin, celery seed mead tonic (see what we almost did there with the aliteration?) and something involving Bacos (by far the worst idea), we decided to throw some espresso into the bottle. One of two things is going to happen. Its either going to be surprising and well received (what's better than sweet, strong coffee?), or its going to be something we laugh about constantly.

The liter bottle is mudpuddle brown on the inside and is brewing away like crazy. I've never seen a balloon airlock inflate quite like this, even though it is pierced. Some of my espresso grit has kicked up into the balloon itself. If nothing else I have a good ferment going on.

Thanks for listening yet again guys, this hobby is a lot of fun. Right now the top of one of my counters is COMPLETELY covered in brewing mead, and I wouldnt have it any other way.

James

It wasnt bacon I shunned but rather the soy-based bacon crunchies called "Bacos". Those things are a miracle of modern science.

So far the mead is still brewing like crazy... the color is just kind of a muddy brown, so every so often I give it a gentle swirl in hopes of more espresso color leaching out. I still have high hopes, but its way too early to guess how its coming out, I think.

This one at 1 month isnt exactly my favorite. Haha. Kind of syrupy sweet weak coffee flavor.

Could be better while it ages.

It is, however, not horrific, which means that I am likely to experiment more with breadyeasters and cheap honey.

Back