Recipe for a newbie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConanHC

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've done much wine in the past, but I am not familiar with boiling and hops...

does anyone have a recipe that would be a good starting point? I prefer a blond beer, but I hear Duvel is somewhat hard to make. (well, for a n00b).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :mug:

Easiest thing in the world is to pick up a kit. Some of them don't even require adding water--with Festa Brew kits you just dump the wort in your fermenter, put in your yeast (if you have a wine whip for degassing use this to help aerate your wort when you pitch), and away you go!

If you are looking for a bit more work/fun you might consider an extract recipe. You would pick up some Liquid Malt Extract (LME) or Dry Malt Extract (DME) from a local retailer then go to town. At that point you would need to buy your own hops for bittering/aroma/flavour. The recipes section of this site will have some extract recipes; if not then google will certainly help you out. If you are feeling quite daring you can add specialty grains to your extract recipe, or even go to a "partial mash" where you would get part of your fermentables from LME and/or DME and the remainder from grains or adjuncts.

If you are sure you will be a long-term brewer it may be worthwhile for you to get into all-grain brewing. There's a good thread on the site here about doing it stovetop, or if you want to do full boils that's another possibility but will require some additional equipment (big pot, maybe a propane burner, etc.).

Anyway, to get around to answering your question, do a search for a SMASH extract recipe and that will be about as simple as it gets! (SMASH means single malt and single hop)

Good luck :mug:

I've done extracts in the past.

I'm looking to get into all-grain. I have a friend I am brewing with and he has the equipment.

but thanks for the smash acronym, I'll look it up.

cheers.

I found this one:

11.50 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 100.00%
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) 47.5 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (10 min) 7.1 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) 5.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (0 min) -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) -
WLP001 California Ale yeast

Mash for 90 minutes at 149F
Ferment at 67F

5 gal, 75% eff