California common recipe? With Pacman?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
Curious to know if anyone had an extract recipe for a Cali common recipe with steeping grains and since Pacman ferments at 60, would it work? Or should i just use the lager yeast?
I'm just kind of anxious to brew with the pacman I suppose.

Dan

Pacman's an ale yeast, so it's not going to be a California Common regardless of fermentation temperature. It'll be different, for sure, and Cali Common is one of those yeasts that really does make a big difference in the end product. Save the Pacman for the next project, IMHO.

the_bird said:
Pacman's an ale yeast, so it's not going to be a California Common regardless of fermentation temperature. It'll be different, for sure, and Cali Common is one of those yeasts that really does make a big difference in the end product. Save the Pacman for the next project, IMHO.

Ok that's what I figured. I will have to search around for some recipes people have used the Pacman for to see what to brew it with. Figure I'll do a couple Rogue clones as well.

Anyway, thanks!

Dan

Dude said:
You can brew ANYTHING with the Pacman yeast. Look at all the Rogue styles--supposedly they use the Pacman for all of them. It is pretty versatile.

Well I was reading up on it and they mention that it ferments best around 60 degrees or so and I have spoken with John the head brewer and they do indeed use the Pacman with everything. So I suppose it is versatile, and the whole point of homebrewing is to experiment.
I was thinking of using the Common style but with the Pacman to come up with something unique, but if the yeast plays a big part in the flavor I'm not so sure. I'm just tired of doing kits, I kind of wanted to do something new.

From what I can gather the recipe's mostly call for around 6-7 lbs of pale extract with some crystal 20l and Munich malt thrown in there. There are even a couple recipes with biscuit malt added with another pound of amber extract. The common hops are the Northern Brewer with some cascade thrown in on some recipes.

Dan

Latest posts

Back