Stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
This is a stout recipe that I found in a book while sitting at Borders yesterday.

88 Drought Stout
-----------------
4 lb Montermellick Irish Stout Extract kit - Hopped
2 lb Telpord's Dark Dry Malt Extract
3/4 lb Crystal Malt 110 Lov.
3/4 Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb Black Pattent Malt
1/2 lb Roasted Barly
1/2 ounce Chinook -AA 12.5 for boiling (80 min)
1/2 ounch Saaz -AA 6.8 for finiishing (5 min)
1/2 ounch Tettnanger - AA 4.2 for finishing (3 min)
2 tsp Gypsom
4 ounch Lactose
Mountemellic Dry Yeast

The recipe says to steep the grains at 175 degrees for 1 hour, then it proceeds like an extract recipe. This is a low alcohol recipe.... SG 1.050 and EG 1.025.

I dont know how much of the specific ingrediants I will find or what substitutions I'll need. What do you think of the grain steep. Palmer seems to think that BPM should be only the last 10 - 15 minutes to avoid tannins...

I think the grain steep temp is way too high. I ruined an amber by pulling my grains once they hit 170. It was so filled with tannens, it was not funny.

The hops seem a little low to me. I like the steeping grains a lot, though.

Depending on how much water you are supposed to add to the pot, It looks to me like they would probably want you to bring the water up to that temp, (edit - at this point you turn off the heat) put the grains in, and by adding the grains it should lower the water temp to steeping temperature. Don't maintain that temp, you want to steep at about 158-160 degrees or so. I would use roughly 3.5 qts of water to steep but no more than 1 gallon for steeping. Then when steeping is complete you would add how much water your pot can hold without a boil over and bring to a boil, then continue as normal.

barleypopmaker said:
...It looks to me like they would probably want you to bring the water up to that temp, (edit - at this point you turn off the heat) put the grains in, and by adding the grains it should lower the water temp to steeping temperature...
That's what I thought as I read this. That's too high a temp, IMO, to steep/mash grains. Go with something in the mid 150's.:)

The happy mug said:
I think the grain steep temp is way too high. I ruined an amber by pulling my grains once they hit 170. It was so filled with tannens, it was not funny.

The hops seem a little low to me. I like the steeping grains a lot, though.
The hops sound about right to me,esp with half ounce of chinook-12.5AA for 80 mins,you dont need a lot of bittering in a stout

temp too high.

I did one close that was good and am making again (simple)
7lbs plain dark extract
8 oz malto (60 minutes)
12 oz crystal 60L
4 oz black patent
4 oz roasted barley

2 oz northern hops (60)
1/2 fuggle or so (5)

nottingham dry yeast

SG 1.048ish FG 1.017ish

very good for a simple one.. same grains basically I just steep at 155ish for 1/2 hour or so in bag(s) for a small ones like these. I think this maybe the brewers best recipe kit I got from someone. FWIW

Back