Too much frothyness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machowsk

Reaction score
Yesterday, I began my fifth batch, a stout. (Yeah, I know it's summer here in the northern hemisphere and stout isn't exactly a typical summer beer, but I love it :cross: ). I'm getting a lot of froth because of fermentation, and it's blowing the airlock out. I keep removing, cleaning and refilling the airlock with cheap vodka, but within 30 minutes it's full of overflow from the bucket. Here's a few picture of the overflow, after the airlock was removed.

http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00023ds.jpg
and
http://img48.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00011hz.jpg

Is this indicitive of something I'm doing wrong? What can I do to prevent it in the future and is there anything I can do with this batch, short of babysitting the airlock?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
-Machowsk

Nothing wrong other than you are having an aggressive ferment. It happens to many of us and you usually then rig up a blow-off tube (search here if not sure what that is). What is the size of your primary? What is the temp range of your ferment? Too high a temp can create a more vigorous ferment and also a higher temp can lead to some off flavors. Try to ferment at the low range of a yeasts range. Usually 68-74 tops.

Blow off tube!

2577-JazBrewery001.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys. I rigged up a blow off tube, and things seem to be under control now. I hope I haven't contaminated this batch, but time will tell. I suspect the temperature is among the reasons why fermentation is going so wild this time. Where I live it was about 85 degrees out today. Not really optimal for brewing, but I'm not gonna worry about it too much.

Thanks again for the advice.

Latest posts

Back