How to refinish a spot on wood floor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My computer chair has slowly worn a ring of now bare wood. Can I repair this thing without having to strip the clear coat off a large area of the floor? Any tips appreciated. I don't know how this has anything to do with beer, except I sometimes drink beer in the offending chair :)

I would start by cleaning the rollers of the chair with some sandpaper. Bits of gravel may be causing this by being stuck into the rollers.

Urethane is the floor finish I use, lots of coats no sanding between, plenty of time to dry between. When it happens again, light sanding and a light coat over top.

I assure you it will look better after.

What kind of wood floor - does it have an aluminum oxide finish? If so then use a water based polyurethane. It will not darken the wood like oil based will, and will dry to be the same as the floor.

I just did this on my cherry floor where oil had seeped through the finish. Sanded it down to the wood and used General Finishes WaterBased Poly.

Brieuxster, thanks. Brrman, I don't know if it is aluminum oxide. Any way to tell? The wood looks like it has been here since the apt. building was built (maybe 1940s).

More than likely it is an oil based poly. Most oxide finishes are factory applied and a rather new product. If the color of the finish is somewhat more yellow than the bare wood it is oil based. I would sand the area and feather into the finish. Much like working on a car body or feathering for paint. Build up several coats of poly. Light sand with wet 600 paper and buff. A lot of work for a apt. Planning on moving soon ?

More than likely it is an oil based poly. Most oxide finishes are factory applied and a rather new product. If the color of the finish is somewhat more yellow than the bare wood it is oil based. I would sand the area and feather into the finish. Much like working on a car body or feathering for paint. Build up several coats of poly. Light sand with wet 600 paper and buff. A lot of work for a apt. Planning on moving soon ?

Sweet. No, not moving soon, but it just looks ugly.

Back