Southern Tier Harvest Ale Clone Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffdill

Reaction score
I'm interested in making a clone of the Southern Tier Harvest Ale to celebrate the season. Trouble is, I'm having a hard time finding a recipe online anywhere.

Southern Tier's description of the beer:

"Harvest Ale is our celebration of the changing weather and the sowing of hops and barley that will be used in our upcoming brews. We usher in the fall with a classic English style Extra Special Bitter of the highest order. Deep ruby in color with an even deeper hop flavor… in fact, we throw fresh English hops into every brewing vessel, then dry hop after fermentation to impart a zesty kick. This beer has real hop character that mingles with fresh malted barley for an experience that will make you wish it were fall year ‘round.
6.7% abv. • 6.0ºL • Extra Special Bitter"

Anyone have a recipe? Or could you at least point me in the right direction so I can make an attempt at it (new brewer here)?

My first reaction is, do you have fresh hops to use for this? Not saying you can't do it without them, but fresh hop beers have a distinct character that you'll lose without them.

I too am a HUGE fan of this beer. I will find the right hops if it means having this brew at arms length. I will be forever greatfull to anyone who can provide a clone to this.

I would also be interested in this recipe as well. Next time I am down there for a weekend, I'll chat up the brewers and see what they use.

I love every beer that Southern Tier makes, especially since they are all hoppy!

I don't have the exact recipe, but I do have one that is close enough to start with and keep trying with.

Harvest Clone (Base) 5 Gallon
10 lbs 2-Row Pale Malt (Or could use 6 lb Pale, 4 lb Maris Otter)
2 lbs Crystal 40L
8 oz Carafoam
1.25 oz Brewers Gold - 60 min
1 oz Columbus - 20 min
1 oz Nugget - 20 min
1 oz Challenger - First Wort (7 min)
1 pkg Wyeast 1056 - American Ale (Made into a 1.7L starter)

Mash 18.13 quarts @ 163°F for a Mash Temp of 152°F. Mash for 60 minutes. Fly sparge 2.91 gallons @ 168°F.

Primary fermentation 6 days. Transfer to secondary for 14 days. Bottle and/or keg, and enjoy.

This was my second attempt at a clone of it, and while it is delicious, it is not exactly STier Harvest. But it is a good starting point to continue on and try more.

This beer is great...I might take a crack at it around the new year. I'll check back in if I do

Anyone try this successfully? Looking to do this clone, and a bit unsure of myself.

Thanks!!!

I don't have the exact recipe, but I do have one that is close enough to start with and keep trying with.

Harvest Clone (Base) 5 Gallon
10 lbs 2-Row Pale Malt (Or could use 6 lb Pale, 4 lb Maris Otter)
2 lbs Crystal 40L
8 oz Carafoam
1.25 oz Brewers Gold - 60 min
1 oz Columbus - 20 min
1 oz Nugget - 20 min
1 oz Challenger - First Wort (7 min)
1 pkg Wyeast 1056 - American Ale (Made into a 1.7L starter)

Thanks for posting your recipe. But the southern Tier folks say they use dry hops?
I have some homegrown Brewer's gold hops so I think I'm going to try this.

Latest posts

Back