What volume is a 'barrel'?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoXJ13

Reaction score
Is it 36 gallons as one would guess? One always hears about the 'barrel' capacity of a brewery, and a recipe I am trying to clone was described by the brewer on basic brewing radio as having over a pound of late hops additions per barrel, that doesn't seem like a whole lot, 16oz=1lb, so that would make about 2.2oz of late hop additions for a 5-gallon batch, which doesn't seem like 'a lot'.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
Is it 36 gallons as one would guess? One always hears about the 'barrel' capacity of a brewery, and a recipe I am trying to clone was described by the brewer on basic brewing radio as having over a pound of late hops additions per barrel, that doesn't seem like a whole lot, 16oz=1lb, so that would make about 2.2oz of late hop additions for a 5-gallon batch, which doesn't seem like 'a lot'.
A half-barrel keg is 15.5 gallons, so a full should be 31.

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=1+barrel+in+gallons&btnG=Google+Search[/ame]

yup.

Actually to be completely correct:

Barrel -- A volume of 36 Imperial gallons (163.7 litres) which gives its name to a wooden or metal container holding that nominal volume of beer. However, the name "barrel" is often applied colloquially to other sizes of beer or cider container.
http://www.nickelinstitute.org/index.cfm/ci_id/12606.htm

So I guess it depends on where the brewery is you are talking about. If it is stateside then more than likely it is 31 gal per barrel, if they go by the old ways it is 36 imperial gallons which is 1.20095 U.S. Gallons per Imp Gallon giving you somewhere around 42 U.S. Gallons

Cheers

IIRC breweries with large systems get better hop utilization than homebrewing setups.

I can't find the article I read that said why that was the case however. So its not a direct correlation from commercial brewery to homebrew recipe. You might try to find some homebrew recipes that're similar in style to see what kinds of amounts people are using.

-D

wop31 said:
Actually to be completely correct:

imperial gallons is 1.20095 U.S. Gallons per Imp Gallon

Actually, to really be completely correct:
1 Imperial gallon is 1.25 US gallons, so 36 Imperial gallons is 45 US gallons. :)
Also, a pint is a pound the world round is not correct, because in England, a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter. :D

-a.

ajf said:
Actually, to really be completely correct:
1 Imperial gallon is 1.25 US gallons, so 36 Imperial gallons is 45 US gallons. :)
Also, a pint is a pound the world round is not correct, because in England, a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter. :D

-a.

Interesting, Everything I found said it was [ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=convert+imperial+gallons+to+us+gallons&spell=1"]1.20095042[/ame] I would be interested in seeing your source, But Breweries do go by the 31 gallon barrel, at least the ones i have been too.

Cheers

You guys really need to get involved with the metric system...so simple..

We have..

1L
Then 1kL = 1cubic metre or 1000L
Then 1ML = 1000 cubic metres or 1,000,000L

No imperial litres, US litres and australian Litres, a litre is a litre!

Also 1L of water at 25 degrees C weighs 1kg, instead of 1 US gallon weighing roughly 8.25 pounds...where is the logic?

wop31 said:
Interesting, Everything I found said it was 1.20095042 I would be interested in seeing your source, But Breweries do go by the 31 gallon barrel, at least the ones i have been too.

Cheers

That will teach me not to be a smart ass.:eek:
I know the US pint is 16 fluid ounces and the Imperial pint is 20 fluid ounces.
Until today however, I didn't know that the US fluid ounce was different to the imperial fluid ounce. :confused:

Sorry

-a.

nabs478 said:
You guys really need to get involved with the metric system...so simple..

We have..

1L
Then 1kL = 1cubic metre or 1000L
Then 1ML = 1000 cubic metres or 1,000,000L

No imperial litres, US litres and australian Litres, a litre is a litre!

Also 1L of water at 25 degrees C weighs 1kg, instead of 1 US gallon weighing roughly 8.25 pounds...where is the logic?

Oh yeah? Well, how many furlongs in a fortnight? :)

How many furlongs in a Parsec?

The metric system really woulnd't help here since they are talking about a unit made up when England was still using the English Units of measure. So you would have to convert from English to Metric anyways.

Latest posts

Back