Got My Cornies.. Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNC04

Reaction score
I received my Cornies the other day and have the Co2 all setup in the fridge. One will be on a tap thru the fridge the other via a cobra spout until I get the funding for another perlick.

So what do I do to the kegs to clean and sanitize them? I have one step on hand as well as PBW. This is what I was thinking of doing

Keg is already pressurized.

Release pressure, rinse keg thoroughly with water.
Replace O-ring and lube.
Replace Ball lock o-rings.
Fill with warm water, add PBW shake around let sit for 30-60 mins or so.
Pressurize and run PBW through the beer line and through faucet.
Drain keg.
Refill with one step. Slosh around and add pressure.
Run onestep through keg run through beer line.
Fill with beer.

Anything I’m missing?

Thanks
Brett

I fill about 1/5 of the way with Star San solution (I'm a HUGE fan of the stuff and seriously recommend getting some, it's awesome), shake the hell out of it, connect my CO2, open the picnic tap and squirt it all into my bucket.

Star San can be reused. :)

When I buy new kegs I dispense directly keg to keg as many times as needed. In the end I have a clean, pressure sealed keg (since Star San doesn't need rinsing).

If you got (or can get) some BLC, slosh a quart of prepared BLC around in the sealed keg and run it through the line before you give it the PBW wash (or, really, instead).

Also, sanitize the large O-rings and lids.

You may want to check your poppets, too, and make sure they aren't all crudded up. You probably are fine there, though, but you want to get some sanitizer up in them. Fill the keg with sanitizer to the rim and depress each poppet valve with a pen or something. It helps to depress the gas one first. That will run some sanitizer up into the poppet and, with the liquid post, up into the dip tube.

Since this is a new keg for you, you want to be extra thorough and careful with cleaning and sanitizing. After that, you "know where it's been," so to speak.

TL

TexLaw said:
If you got (or can get) some BLC, slosh a quart of prepared BLC around in the sealed keg and run it through the line before you give it the PBW wash (or, really, instead).

Also, sanitize the large O-rings and lids.

You may want to check your poppets, too, and make sure they aren't all crudded up. You probably are fine there, though, but you want to get some sanitizer up in them. Fill the keg with sanitizer to the rim and depress each poppet valve with a pen or something. It helps to depress the gas one first. That will run some sanitizer up into the poppet and, with the liquid post, up into the dip tube.

Since this is a new keg for you, you want to be extra thorough and careful with cleaning and sanitizing. After that, you "know where it's been," so to speak.

TL

I do have some BLC on hand. Would I also sanitize and run the onestep through the lines after running the BLC through the keg and lines?

Thanks for the responses

Brett

Latest posts

Back