Freezer circling the drain; what to do...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Drop some coin on it and fix it

• Get rid of it and get a refrigerator

• Get rid of it and get a smaller freezer for lagering

• I don't know either, can't help you out

• Other (see below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

FireBrewer

Assistant Brewer
Reaction score
My freezer/keezer/kegerator/whatchamacallit has been deciding to run non-stop and started building a good bit of frost on the walls. The coils are clean. So, I'm at a connundrum as what to do next.

It's at least 22 years old...it was my friend's father's, and he gave it to me a year or two ago. Worked fine up until just recently. Built a collar for it, etc. so I'm a bit torn too about spending that money a year or two ago and being where I am now. I have another freezer, which is about 3-4 years old and just slightly smaller that I use for lagering, so I could replace the older one with the newer one but I'd lose lagering ability---which I don't want to do as I like to make lagers pretty regularly. I'm partly worried about sinking money into it...fix the defrost timer, add more refrigerant and hope that it's not something else that needs money. And I already have an analog temp controller for it so that's not an issue for a future appliance consideration.

Part of me thinks I should just get rid of it, since it's old and older appliances aren't very efficient and electric bills generally don't get cheaper over time.

I've been eyeballing Craigslist for refrigerators and freezers. I'm starting to wonder if a refrigerator (top/bottom) would fit the need...I just use the current freezer to serve to taps. And it might be nice to have a freezer up top for hop storage, as our side-by-side in the kitchen is already stuffed.

What to do, what to do...:(

Thanks Special Hops. Was kinda leaning that way, needed the push. ;)

Alright. 37 views, 3 poll votes and 1 reply. Where'd everybody go? :confused:

Back