boiler opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked about this one at basspro the main thing the guys didnt like were those side rails and having to lift the pot over them. I have not looked at one to see if they are easily removable.

I am new to home brewing and I started with a 32 quart pot. I found that I quickly went from extract/steeping to full boils and now to all grain. I regret the size brew kettle that I went with, but it is what it is.

My thought is that I should have bought a 10 gallon pot minimum to prevent boil overs. You may find the 30 quart too small rather quickly and end up spending more as you buy another brew kettle as you attempt new methods.

Just my two cents, but I think you will find it too small in the future.

Between the automatic shutoff (you'll need to defeat) and its general design, I say pass on it. Looks like it will really suck for brewing. Especially at only 38k BTU rating.

A couple other points. I saw those while contemplating my upgrade to a 10 gal kettle. The valve is very cheap. The metal of the pot is very thin. The legs on the burner do not look too sturdy. Seemed like a lot of failure points to me when I checked them out.

Check out amazon. They sell a WINCO 40qt Aluminum pot for around $40. Add the lid for $20. This thing is bullet proof. Then just get yourself a good burner. Should be options in clearance areas or on craigslist since the holidays are over.

You definitely want to spend your money on quality equipment. That would be the best advice I could give. There are few cheap options that are not just that. Cheap.

A couple other points. I saw those while contemplating my upgrade to a 10 gal kettle. The valve is very cheap. The metal of the pot is very thin. The legs on the burner do not look too sturdy. Seemed like a lot of failure points to me when I checked them out.

Check out amazon. They sell a WINCO 40qt Aluminum pot for around $40. Add the lid for $20. This thing is bullet proof. Then just get yourself a good burner. Should be options in clearance areas or on craigslist since the holidays are over.

You definitely want to spend your money on quality equipment. That would be the best advice I could give. There are few cheap options that are not just that. Cheap.

I really love my Blichmann burners... Rated at 72k BTU each and they easily perform as well (or better) than those rated at 210k BTU by Bayou.

For an aluminum kettle/pot, you don't want thin wall. IMO/IME, 4mm wall thickness is solid. I wouldn't advise going below 3mm thickness there. The ones that people talk about being deformed (bottoms) or cracking are from THIN aluminum construction. They just cannot stand up to the long, high BTU rated, flames applied in brewing. While they can be ok on a stove (electric or NG) when you go to a propane burner, you're setting yourself up for issues down the road.

Bayou classic SQ14 is a popular burner and it can accommodate larger kettles or a keggle. About $43 shipped on amazon. I use the winware 40 qt AL stock pot for my kettle. Nice and thick and AL is easy to modify to add a valve, sight glass, etc.

30 qts (about 7.5 gal) is also a little small for 5 gallon batches given that you're going to be starting with 6 to 6.5 gallons of wort. You would have to babysit the gas valve to prevent boil-overs.

Latest posts

Back