My awesome new brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlmostSiR

Reaction score
My boss and her husband used to own a restaurant. They closed it a few years ago, and had this sittin around. I was complaining about my little 5 gal pot not being able to handle a full boil for All-Grain, and this morning, she showed up with this monster. Gave it to me free. They also have the burner and stand that'll work with it, but I'm gonna buy it from them.

BrewPot.jpg

It's a 25gal pot. Stainless steel. I looked at something comparable on NB.com, and there's no way I would've been able to afford it.

10 gal batches, here I come.

P.S. Any ideas what to do about that evil ring on the inside?

that black ring more than likely was from boiling Potatoes to making Stock to soups of the day. I wouldn't worry about it, give it a good clean and your good to go

McCall St. Brewer said:
Excellent kettle. Are you sure that's stainless, though? Looks a lot like aluminum in your picture. Even if it is, it's still an awesome find.

That's what I was thinking, too. Wouldn't worty about it for a second.

Actually, yeah, that definately is aluminum. If you use it, it'll kill you. Poison, you know? It'll kill you and make everyone in the neighborhood sterile. It'll cancel your life insurance policies and move in with your wife when you're gone. It'll demand that your children call it "Daddy" and fetch it your homebrew.

You've got to get rid of that thing. Lucky for you, I know how to kill it - just sent it to me and I'll take care of it for you.

;)

the_bird said:
That's what I was thinking, too. Wouldn't worty about it for a second.

Actually, yeah, that definately is aluminum. If you use it, it'll kill you. Poison, you know? It'll kill you and make everyone in the neighborhood sterile. It'll cancel your life insurance policies and move in with your wife when you're gone. It'll demand that your children call it "Daddy" and fetch it your homebrew.

You've got to get rid of that thing. Lucky for you, I know how to kill it - just sent it to me and I'll take care of it for you.

;)

That made me laugh out loud. All my co-workers were looking at me like I was crazy.

Yeah, it looks a lot like my aluminum pot - only twice as big! Nice score! Just give it a nice cleaning with something non-abrasive and you'll be lovin' that thang!

Yup, and that black stuff is just old aluminum oxide I think. Don't go nuts trying to clean it, just give it a light scrubbing with a scotchbrite pad and some oxyclean and give it a go. You have a burner big enough for that thing? It's a beaut, but I think it's too big even for 10 gallon batches. You'll need a custom chiller that is larger in diameter and short because standard ones will stick way above the wort line which would be a waste of efficiency.

Very Jealous of that pot, you could even go bigger tha 10g batches if you want...what a score. As for the inside, if it was me I would fill it about 3/4 of the way full with water, get to a boil or close to it, dump a bunch of Oxiclean in it and let it sit until it gets cool. Then Rinse it thoroughly, hit it with a soft sponge and go from there. You could even hit it with a mild alluminum cleanser after that if you wanted. That will get it as clean as it is going to get.

I'm going to use the calibrated pitcher I got from Northern Brewer, fill the pot with water a gallon at a time, and make a calibrated stick to measure wort depth in 1/2 gallons

Welcome to the BAAP club! (Check out my gallery) Those puppies are big enough that you can drill and tap them and not have to use a bulkhead. I used 1/2" ball valves on mine. I don't have a picture of them with the taps in my gallery, but if you're interested I can snap a shot for you.

I think you'll find that your measuring stick will more likely be graduated in gallons rather than half gallons. One gallon in that size of pot isn't much of a change in depth.

the_bird said:
BierMuncher, I'm so glad you're a member of our community. You make my ghetto-gear look high-class by comparison!

Yea. I can't wait for the ghetto beer filter unit.

Will there be a car radiator involved? an aquarium and filter?

Fingers said:
Welcome to the BAAP club! (Check out my gallery) Those puppies are big enough that you can drill and tap them and not have to use a bulkhead. I used 1/2" ball valves on mine. I don't have a picture of them with the taps in my gallery, but if you're interested I can snap a shot for you.

I think you'll find that your measuring stick will more likely be graduated in gallons rather than half gallons. One gallon in that size of pot isn't much of a change in depth.

I figured that, about the depth/gallon change.

And I would defientely like to see a shot of the tapped ball-valve.

olllllo said:
Yea. I can't wait for the ghetto beer filter unit.

Will there be a car radiator involved? an aquarium and filter?
I was thinking a big bag of charcoal wrapped in cheese cloth...stuffed halfway through a 4" piece of PVC.

Pour the cloudy beer in one end and out the other ends comes the "magic"... :D

I'll keep you posted on the results ;)

BierMuncher said:
I was thinking a big bag of charcoal wrapped in cheese cloth...stuffed halfway through a 4" piece of PVC.

Pour the cloudy beer in one end and out the other ends comes the "magic"... :D

I'll keep you posted on the results ;)

Pale ales magically turn into dry stouts!

So here's the pot with the valve. I used a half inch ball valve and a half inch npt (pipe thread) fitting. I drilled the pot and used an NPT tap just far enough so that the pipe was able to thread about 2-1/2 turns. I then wrapped the threads in Teflon tape and cranked it in. I gave it enough torque that there's no way it will leak and the Teflon tape provides a barrier between the steel pipe and the aluminum body so that I don't get the oxidation-reduction corrosion effect.

7601-tappedpot1.jpg

And the inside. There aren't too many threads on the inside because of the nature of pipe fittings, but I'm not worried about watertight joint at this point. A little bit of leakage is desired.

7601-tappedpot3.jpg

Back