Slow Starting Wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPirate

Reaction score
Ok, I brewed a wit and pitched White Labs Wit yeast on Saturday night. Still no action in the firmentor. I didn't use a starter, and I did aerate, although I agitated the firmentor with the yeast already pitched. Temp started at 66 F and Last night (Sunday) I raised the temp to 70 F. My question is, When should I start getting worried? My LHBS is a ways away.

Thanks,
Pirate

I wouldn't be too worried yet. I've had yeast take up to three days to start. Next time, make a starter to be sure that the yeast is viable and has a chance to reproduce. Make sure your lid is firmly sealed and there is no chance for CO2 to escape unnoticed.

Ya, don't worry yet.

But in the future, you really should make as starter. Since I've been on this board, I've seen TONS of threads about slow / no fermentaion with no starter.

I can't remember even one where there was a problem with a starter.

rdwj said:
Ya, don't worry yet.

But in the future, you really should make as starter. Since I've been on this board, I've seen TONS of threads about slow / no fermentaion with no starter.

I can't remember even one where there was a problem with a starter.

If you use a starter, don't count on your carb-lock to handle the first week of fermentation. You'll get a massive ferm the first couple of days which will require a run-off hose. BOOM!!!!

I pitched a tube of White Labs Belgian Wit without a starter before and it started fermenting in 18 hours and was vigorous for a week.

However, this was only a 2.5 gallon batch I brewed...

Latest posts

Back