stuck mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenleaf586

Reaction score
Had a stuck sparge yesterday and ended up having to transfer most of the grain and wort to a sanitized bucket while I switched manifolds. The process meant that I mashed for about 20 minutes extra. I ended up putting the slurry back into the lauter tun and sparging as normal.
I can imagine I dropped the grain temperature during the transfer. Which brings me to wonder what this drop in temperature did to my finished beer. Keep in mind that the 'maintnance' period only lasted a few minutes so it couldn't have dropped the temp too much. What should I expect from this nightmare? :confused:

I had a stuck mash the other day. It is quite the nightmare. Everything seems to be going fine though.

Its already gone thru the mash stage so temp really isnt going to affect much right?

My understanding of it is if you mashed out at 170 then you denatured the enzymes so no more modification was being done by the enzymes so it would not have altered anything there. Dropping the temps will have effected the solubility of the sugar in the wort if anything. Did you notice a difference in efficiency?

Clem

Latest posts

Back