Could I double the candi sugar here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve973

Reaction score
If I have the following recipe, could I double the candi sugar (from 1 to 2 lbs) and have a decent end result? It'd increase the resultant OG a bit, and it make a stronger beer. Or would it be undesirable?

5 lbs Dewolf Cosyns pils or pale ale malt (2.3 kg)
3 lbs Durst Munich malt (1.4 kg)
2 lbs Weyermann Dark Munich malt (908 gr)
1.5 lbs Dewolf Cosyns Aromatic malt (681 gr)
0.75 lbs Dewolf Cosyns Carapils malt (341 gr)
0.25 lbs Caramunich malt (114 gr)
0.33 lbs Dewolf Cosyns Special B malt (150 gr)
1 oz Weyermann chocolate wheat malt (28 gr)
1 lb dark candi sugar (454 gr)
1 oz Styrian Goldings hop plugs, 5% alpha acid (28 gr) (1 hour)
0.25 oz Saaz hops, 3.9% alpha acid (7 gr) (15 minutes)
0.25 oz Saaz hops, 3.9% alpha acid (7 gr) (2 minutes)

As you said, it will increase the alcohol, and not much more. It looks like a fairly tasty brew to begin with, I doubt it'll be bad. But it's your beer, so "desirable" can only be determined by you.

It will add more of a caramel and toffee taste to the beer than you were originally going to get with the 1 #.

Wild

wild said:
It will add more of a caramel and toffee taste to the beer than you were originally going to get with the 1 #.

Wild

Ahh, good point. I didn't notice that he was talking about dark sugar. I was thinking of the clear stuff.

Perhaps one pound of each would be good. I don't quite know if I'd prefer more of that type of taste or not.

You could always up the alcohol content by use of another adjunct such as white rice or even just use more pale ale malt. Infact I used to use 1kg of glucose with the kits when I first started getting into homebrewing. You could always try doing that too instead of using more candi

Latest posts

Back