Adding lavender to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malatesta

Reaction score
I'm going to be adding just .25oz of lavender to my batch when I transfer to secondary and I'm wondering what the best way to sanitize it is. These are fresh buds. I've read boiling will kill off alot of the flavors. Should I dry it out first? Just rinse out in water? Small soak in one step?

Thats a great idea. What kind of beer are you adding it to? I just had a Jasmine IPA from the elysian brewery here in Seattle. It was fantastic and not overdone. I am thinking drying it like they do with leaf hops.

It's a DME based Amber ale with Crystal 40L and Honey Malt steeped. Simcoe hops for bittering only. White Labs Pacific Ale Yeast. Added .25lb honey to high krausen to dry it out a bit. I'll post the exact recipe when I get back home, just want to get some ideas on what to do since I expect to add the lavender later this week.

IMHO I would soak in a neutral spirit like everclear or perhaps vodka: enough alcohol to kill any bugs but won't alter your beer.

would say soak it in vodka for a day and then add it or put it in 170F water and pasturize it for 10 minutes.

If going the soak in booze road, this was covered in an oaking thread. The booze needs to be 160 proof or it doesn't do anything as far as "killing off the nasties"...I am going out on a limb and going to say the same rule applies here.

If boiling/pasteurizing then I would go with the 170 for 10-15 minutes idea and add the "tea" into the mix.

Back