Warming up conditioning bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a batch that is bottle conditioning right now. It's been 2 weeks and very little carbonation. I'm not loosing patience, I'm just curious about something. If I were to warm a couple bottles at higher temperature (maybe 78F) would they carbonate faster?. If so, how long should I expect that to take?

Well what temp are they at now?

Several factors that influence carbonation are: (probably in this order) Carbonation Temperature, yeast vigor, yeast strain, OG of the wort (later as alcohol), ferment temperature and time since it started fermenting. The yeast stuff is all tied together. Like if you have a strain that is used to fermenting high gravity worts it might be fine, but then again higher gravity worts tend to be aged longer, so that is a factor as well.

2 weeks is bordering on long if you haven't seen anything.

alright, scratch that. I just opened one and it is carbonated. Not too bad either. Still a little greeen. Hard part will be trying to sit on them a little longer. It is my first batch. I think they will be pretty darn good in another couple weeks. I was keeping them at 68F though.

I'm adding this question to this thread because it's related.

I just racked and bottled a 5-gallon batch of Muntons American Amber a day and a half ago. We're going to have a party here in a week, and if possible I'd like the beer to be carbonated by then (putting the total time for carbonation at 9 days).

I read in the Homebrewer's Answer Book that one guy speeds up his carbonation by putting the bottles near a heater and it's carbonated in a few days. I don't see why this would be a problem because there is still only a finite amount of priming sugar for the yeast to consume, so higher temperatures shouldn't lead to a bottle bomb.

So, I was thinking of moving my bottles up to a warmer temperature in the attic for a couple of days to get more of the carbonation done faster, then move them back down to regular room temperature and let them condition for 5 more days until it's party time.

So my question is, has anyone experimented with this, and what were the results? It sounds like longer bottle conditioning is better of course, but hey, what can I say, we'd like to drink some homebrew at the party next week if possible! :mug:

you may just send all your friends home with the yeast farts....it needs to carb, and the yeast need to settle out. only one way for you to know. I let it set in fridge for at least 11 days to drop out the yeast.

yeasty beer is ok going in....but........:confused:

you may just send all your friends home with the yeast farts....it needs to carb, and the yeast need to settle out. only one way for you to know. I let it set in fridge for at least 11 days to drop out the yeast.

yeasty beer is ok going in....but........:confused:

+1 to this...Buzzkill is going to live up to his name....but it's the truth.

cheetrowe, you picked a really bad thread with pretty lousy info. You really can't "push" the carbonation/conditioning process...it's a natural process and they yeast have their own agenda. At a higer temp you may get 2.5 weeks as opposed to 3...but since 3 weeks @ 70 is just usually a minimum and a rule of thumb, there is no gaurentee that it would be done anyway.

And just because it may be carbed, doesn't mean it won't taste like a$$...and be really really green, besides the above yeast farts.

We get questions like this all the time..."I'm having a party or wedding in a week and I want to serve my beer I just bottled."

AND the answer we give is, Next time plan it out to have a minimum month of carbing conditioning time, and for this party.....

Go out and buy a nice selection of microbrews instead.

It does noone any good, whether they are knowlegable about homebrew or just like MBC's to serve them green, or sub par beers.

If you are serving green, yeasty, and nasty tasting beer to people who have never tasted homebrew then they won't understand, what it's supposed to taste like....

They will think that EITHER you suck as a brewer, ALL HOMEBREW SUCKS (and you'll prolly go blind anyway) or those BMC commercials were right, anything other than fizzy yellow beer, especially homebrew taste like a$$, and we should stick to bud light..."That's what TV says, so it must be true, right?"

You won't be a great ambassador to the world of homebrewing by serving beer you tried to rush through....and saying "Heh, it's just green, and not fully carbed yet, it will get better with time, really won't fly to someone who drinks bud with their born on dates."

This is not making Koolaid, it is not mixing sugar and flavoring at having the product finished when you want it to be. When you pitch yeast you surrender to the timeframe of the beer....and little "trinks" like trying to warm it more, may actually cause OFF FLAVORS by stressing out the yeast. And like I said, FIZZY and CONDITIONED are not the same.

I go into great detail about the carbing conditioning process here. Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

This is something that occurs with a lot of new brewers, but believe me usually once you have a pipleine going, you will have an infinite supply of GREAT beer for nearly occasion...So as excited as you are about sharing...you can skip this one...and know in 3 or 4 weeks that you can proudly share good beer.

But even us with pipelines can end up a bit dissapointed, if we don't leave the yeasties enough time to do their thing;

This is an example of mine from last year;

For Example, I brewed my Pumpkin Ale for Thanksgiving on Labor Day...figuring at 8 weeks, I MIGHT have some ready for Holloween...But they were still green, so I only brought a couple to my annuual Halloween thingy, along with a sampler of commercial pumpkins...BUT come Turkey Day the beer was fantastic, and was a hit at the holiday.

Like I said, we get variations of this all the time, someone wanting to rush the process so people at a party or gathering can taste the beer....And we usually tell them the same thing...BUY BEER, or bring something else...they will survive, but your cred as a brewer may NOT if you serve them green beer.

well cheetrowe, It might not be all bad. are these people you know well/care about? sure they will say you suck,your beer sucks,but they wont come over any more wanting to drink your beer. People who brew are never short on 'friends' who will show up thirsty,drink a bunch of your beer. ask for some to take with them when you kick them out. :drunk:

Back