Wheat Beer without a step mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrevino

Reaction score
Anyone know how a wheat beer would turn put without a step mash for the protien rest and such? I was half screwing around last night and did a wheat recipe mashing and sparging at 168 and I'm curious what the end product may be.

168 is far too hot to get good starch conversion for any beer. I'd suspect you'd end up with a starchy beer.

I assume you meant mash at a lower temperature and sparged at 168?

What kind of yeast did you use? If it is well a modified malt, a single step mash could be fine.

I mashed in with a strike temp of 168 so I'm assuming my grain was in the mid 150s but I'm just guessing. Then I did a batch sparge with a strike of 168. Thoughts?

You should be fine, although I'd suggest measuring your mash temp in the future.

What was your grain bill like? All wheat malt or 50:50 with some 2-row perhaps?

My Blue Moon Clone is 45% Wheat, 45% 2-row and 10% oats single infusion at 154 and it turns out great. Wheat Malt will be fine with a single 60 minute mash in the 150s.

my house wheat is always made with a single infusion mash and it's delicious (IMHO).

I do the same too. My hefeweizens when I was still living in Canada were amazing. I'm using the same recipes in SC, but the water profile is quite different, so my mash pH is too high and I end up with a "different" flavor (not a bad one mind you).

152-154F for a hefeweizen, single step, is fine. 50-50% wheat/2-row is excellent too.

M_C
my house wheat is always made with a single infusion mash and it's delicious (IMHO).

What was your grain bill like? All wheat malt or 50:50 with some 2-row perhaps?

My Blue Moon Clone is 45% Wheat, 45% 2-row and 10% oats single infusion at 154 and it turns out great. Wheat Malt will be fine with a single 60 minute mash in the 150s.

Standard Blue Moon Clone minus the step mash and used almost a 2L starter. This what I ended up with.

Yeast: Belgian Wit, WLP400
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.050
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.0 %
3.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 30.0 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
0.50 oz Cascade [6.90%] (45 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.90%] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU