Just wanted to introduce myself

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABier

Reaction score
Hello all, its been about 24 hours since I started making my wort of my first bier, and I already had to put a blowhose on the carboy. Every time I go into the kitchen I find myself hypnotized by the swirling in my carboy. To make the wait more bearable I also already ordered 3 more 6.5G carboys, and all the makings for a 4 corny keg chest freezer diy kegerator. I cant wait to get that pup put together in my living room.

:tank:
:mug:If anyone is in the Fresno Ca area I'm planning on having an Octoberfest/Halloween party to tryout my beging brews.:mug:
:ban:

995782_595191290531163_712995981_n.jpg

Just make sure that isn't exposed to any sunlight (I mean zero). You can just wrap it up with a hoodie or blanket. Also, your temp control will eventually become important once you notice how much better it makes your beers. You may have just had your carboy sitting like this for the picture, but I would suggest a swamp cooler with ice bottles to keep your temps down below 70 for the first few days.

Welcome to the club.... :mug:

Great!! I think most of us are all still pretty excited by the bubbles!

As the other poster mentioned, temp control is pretty important, maybe even the most important...wait I know it is.

I ferment in a plastic bucket and the only thing I can see is the bubbles in the air lock. Less pressure as to what's going on. LOL

I like to think of yeast as tiny little magic fairies. I could sit forever and watch those guys swirl atound!

Oktoberfest ate usually lagers. What temp did your lit recommend for fermentation?

Lol I actually didnt read the kit's instructions, but after looking it over now it doesn't give any directions for temperature, it just says fermentation should take 2-3 days once it starts, and to let it settle for 3-4 days after fermentation ceases.

So now my carboy is wearing a black cotton shirt, never read anything that said something about light, so thanks Blind. Also going to look for another chest freezer or something similar to make a fermenting closet, hopefully something big enough I can get my pipeline going.

I've never done an Oktoberfest or a lager because I don't have an extra fridge, but- if I were you, I'd do some research. Ive read Oktoberfest take a few months at cold temps.

Covering it up to keep the light out is a very good idea. I hope you have a cap for the airlock as well. Keeps flies & other bugs out. Except for fruit flies maybe...

Back