Warm lager, or cold ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highgravitybacon

Reaction score
So I have a spot in my house that's right about 54-56 all the time during the winter. That's a touch warm for lagers, and a bit cold for most ale strains. So my dilemma is this: go warm on the lager or cold on the ale?

I'm looking for the most lager-like outcome regardless of the yeast. Clean, crisp, beer. As for the actual lagering part, that's tougher since I pretty much have to lager at the same temp, or stick it out doors temperature permitting.

Here's what I'm thinking are options.
Nottingham. Can work down to 54F.
Wyeast 1007 / WLP029. Work down to 56F.
WLP810 San Fran Lager. Reportedly clean from 50-65. Typically 58-65 but works down to 50F.
WLP820 Oktoberfest
Saflager 34/70. 48-59F.
Wyeast 1728 Scottish ale - down to 55F.

Any suggestions?

I just had to move my altbier up from the basement cause I thought I was too cold.

Alt and Kolsch ale yeast do very well at cooler temps. San Francisco Lager yeast does well on the warm side.

I think your conditions are good for doing Calif Common (Anchor Steam), Kolsch, and both Northern German and Dusseldorf Alt's.

helibrewer said:
Alt and Kolsch ale yeast do very well at cooler temps. San Francisco Lager yeast does well on the warm side.

I think your conditions are good for doing Calif Common (Anchor Steam), Kolsch, and both Northern German and Dusseldorf Alt's.

I didn't see the airlock bubble it was fermenting cause I often the lid and saw signs but I still thought it was going slow

pdxal said:
Another option is Saflager S-23. Good range for that yeast as well.

I used the Nottingham that came with the kit. It was a Christmas present. The best one my aunt ever got me

Hi - newbie here.
I got my first kit for xmas - Rocky Mountain Amber. I have same situation, a room off our kitchen that stays between 48-56 this time of year. So I'm following the kits instructions for lager fermention, pitch both yeast packages (Nothingham). About 24hrs after brew day, I was seeing bubbles (1 every 5 sec), and this morning (about 36hrs now), I'm seeing 1 every sec - so seems to be happy!

There are yeasts that work fine at those temps. you could do either an ale or lager. I would do ale because I prefer them. If you wanted to ferment a yeast a bit warmer it would be easier (cheaper) to wire up a heater on a temp controller like an STC-1000. Easy to build DIY system with a lightbulb or aquarium heater, etc.

Or buy a brewbelt.

At any rate, you can brew a few great beers without a controller too.

I used the Nottingham that came with the kit. It was a Christmas present. The best one my aunt ever got me

Sorry, was responding to the OP.
BTW, Nottingham isn't a traditional Alt yeast, but ferments cooler than the typical ale yeast and can produce cleaner beer like one. You just might not get a traditional Alt flavor. If I remember right I think Danstar says Nottingham is best 57-70.
I hope your beer turns out to be good.:mug:

Latest posts

Back