juice spontaneously fermented..help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camatt2989

Reaction score
Now i know the goal here is to ferment the juice, i bought four jugs that were pressed the morning i bought them.. says the man. two days later the bottles are bulging. i put them in the freezer for now and im still waiting on my ingredients to arrive on the ninth... what should i do ditch the juice, try and pasteurize, or shock it?

Best solution I can think of is to let it ferment spontaneously and see what Mother Nature gives you. What kind of juice is it? If that option dosen't appeal to you choose from one of the options below.
1. Start over and pitch healthy yeast more quickly
2. Add some sulfates to hopefully kill the yeast present

In the end if fermentation has begun any yeast you add is going to struggle as whatever is fermenting it already has taken somewhat of a hold on the territory. My suggestion is to let it ride and start another batch with a controlled fermentation for a nice little side by side experiment.

Thanks for the advise and quick reply... i would like to see what happens with this juice but i definitely dont want to risk infection of the batch of graff im planning. Again great advise.. upon seeing the bulging containers i thought immediately that i would love to get a culture of this yeast as well we will have to see how it tastes... if anyone else has an idea with how i can salvage this juice i would be much appreciative it was quite expencive $4.50 a gallon woah... that said i had very very high hopes for it though some of the best juice ive had.

I just ran into the same problem. got my juice Sunday and used 5 campden for each 5 gallon. the next day, I open one of the container and get a pfff sound. My guess is that the wild yeast was doing it's job even if I used the campden so I pitch the S-04 anyways and have a strong feeling it will take over quickly ???

anyone else has an opinion on the matter ?

Natural apple yeast fermentations can be good, but its a bit of a crap shoot. My experience is the colder and slower you can let a natural yeast ferment go, the better. Also they sometimes get weird below about 1.020, no matter how cool you ferment them, so its good to check often once they get to this point.

S04 yeast will dominate the wild yeast fairly quickly, depending on how much of a head start you give the wild yeast.

Latest posts

Back