First Partial Mash, Sound Right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darth5aint

Reaction score
Ive read Palmers book but I dont recall a Partial mash section, any tips appreciated, here goes my thought process

Use 5 gal pot to mash about 5-6 lbs base malt and specialty malts using biab, using 2-2.5 gallons water, then after the 60 min at 150(using oven to hold temp, think 170 oven temp will hold wort in 150 range) raising the bag to a colander over pot and slowly add 1.5-2 gal of water through grain and colander. Bring this to vigorous boil for 60 min running through hop additions. Then add LME at knockout, chill, top to 5 gal, and aerate.

Ive steeped grains, I want to go to all grain but with a small apt kitchen and a lack of extra funds I cant afford any new equipment at the moment.

Thx Guys, All I want to do on my days off is brew or bottle. Just cracked bottle from 1st batch, loving it

Your method should work Turn the oven off before you put the pot in there. The oven will take quite a while to cool down and you don't want to raise the temperature of your mash.

BTW, if you didn't add the extra water and LME and adjusted the amount of the specialty grains you would no longer be doing partial mash but would be doing half size batch all grain.:mug:

Back