Newbie Question about hydrometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyO

Reaction score
I know when taking hydrometer readings it's common practice to dip out a sample into a test cylinder. I've tried the plastic one that my hydrometer came in, as well as a pyrex graduated cylinder. The problem is that the hydrometer wants to stick to the sides and I have trouble getting an accurate reading. I know it's frowned upon to take a reading directing from the fermenter, but what's the difference between putting a sanitized hydrometer in the beer and dipping beer out with a sanitized cup? Just wondering.

you don't get to taste the sample if you don't take any out of the carboy. :)

one trick I learned, when you put the hydrometer into the cylinder, is to give it a gentle spin. It'll help settle the bubbles, and should keep it off the sides.

and wait... just let it sit for a bit. There's usually no rush to take the reading immediately

ill.literate said:
you don't get to taste the sample if you don't take any out of the carboy. :)

one trick I learned, when you put the hydrometer into the cylinder, is to give it a gentle spin. It'll help settle the bubbles, and should keep it off the sides.

and wait... just let it sit for a bit. There's usually no rush to take the reading immediately
Right.

Use a stainless steel cup or something to dip out your sample and then seal up your fermenter right away.

Now you can take your time. Go over to a sink or something, place you hydrometer into your tube dry and then fill it to overflowing. Set it down and let the bubbles settle out. Give the hydrometer a slight tap downward to knock off the bubbles (they'll cause a false reading if they "float" the hydrometer).

Once things have settled, hold the hydrometer up and position it so that the needle floats in the middle, away from the walls.

Then, drink your sample.

BierMuncher said:
Now you can take your time. Go over to a sink or something, place you hydrometer into your tube dry and then fill it to overflowing. Set it down and let the bubbles settle out. Give the hydrometer a slight tap downward to knock off the bubbles (they'll cause a false reading if they "float" the hydrometer).

Why do you fill it to overflowing? I've never done that

BierMuncher said:
Excellent idea on filling up the tube to overflowing. Now the bubbles flow off the top of the beer, and you can more easily read the hydrometer instead of trying to look through the tube. Plus my sample tube is almost too short for the hydrometer, this way I can even read those dry FG without a problem.
Thanks
Craig

Back