Sahti-like idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dymnas

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was thinking about brewing up a 1 gal batch of something like sahti, hopefully with a good amount of complexity and not crazy over powering pinesol but still a good earthy pine forest kind of character.
What I have so far:
2 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Rye malt
4 oz Biscuit
1 oz Beechwood smoked malt (probably less, I just want a hint)

.125 oz magnum 60min
2 oz juniper berries 5min

1056 American Ale

I assume one pack of 1056 will be overpitching, so I'll pitch about half of it and make a starter with the other half to have in my fridge for my next brew.

Any comments?

I haven't used juniper berries, but 2 oz in 1 gallon sounds like way too much to me.

Rauchmalt really isn't that strong, 1 oz may be below what you can taste (although better to aim low and be safe if you are worried about overdoing it).

allright, I dropped the maris to 1.5 lbs, the rye to .75 and bumped the rauchmalt up to 4 oz. It smells pretty good in the bag. I'm switching to the 3068 hefeweizen yeast since that seems a little more traditional, going to probably < 1 oz juniper, magnum bittering hops and just a pinch of fuggle for aroma.
I'm not expecting to like this beer, but it's been fun to put it together. It's like thinking up a flavor that you want to create and seeing how close you can get to it in one try.

I brewed a sahti a few days ago. I made a tea instead of just the normal water addition. put tahoe red tea and red chai tea in the kettle with 5 large river rocks that has been heating up over a wood fire. Right when i put the rocks in it started boiling like crazy.

Brewed a wheat type beer but used crystal 60L and caramunich rather then torrified wheat and such.

Back