Theoretical conditioning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenbrew

Reaction score
If I wanted my beer ready in six weeks, would I be better off leaving it in the bucket for 4 weeks and bottling for two, or vice versa. This assumes that final gravity was met and carb level was good.

What if you had infinite time? What timing would you pick?

3 and 3 easily. Though I have been known to push out a bottle conditioned 8.6% IPA in 4 weeks. So it really depends on the beer. Typically I am on a 5 week cycle. 2 in the fermentor and 3 in the bottle. It only takes that long because I get busy most every other weekend.

I always do 6 or more (except for wheats). I don't like to jump the gun and bottle early. I ferment for 2-3, fermentation winds down after the first week and the second it clears (or starts to). I'll usually let it go for another half week (2.5 to this point). I'll then add some gelatin and drop it down to 32 for the next 3-4 days then bottle. I condition for 3 weeks and then try a bottle. I usually end up waiting for ~6 weeks after bottling because I can always taste that's its not exactly ready until then (I get a sweet honey flavor that dissipates when its aged).

This is just what works for me. I find that most things go better when you don't rush it.

I used to spend a month in the primary then 2-3 weeks in the bottle every time. I've since switched to 2-3 weeks in the primary and 2-3 weeks in the bottle; if it's a .1.040-1.060 beer. If it's a bigger beer then 1 month in the primary and 3-6 weeks, or even longer, in the bottle. As the others have said, it really just depends on what you're brewing and how big your pipeline is. :tank:

As for your original question I'd do 3 weeks and 3 weeks if it's not a big beer.

I'm not a fan of the long primary as others seem to be. I'd do about 10-14 days in the primary, as I do most beers, then package when clear.

If the proper amount of yeast is pitched at the proper temperature and fermented at the proper temperature, it would be finished in about 5 days or so. It takes about 24 hours for the "clean up" phase, and then the beer will start to clear. If a flocculant yeast strain is used, the beer should be pretty clear by day 7-10. If not, I'll wait until about day 14 to package.

Latest posts

Back